IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

DPF temp sensor DTC fault - even after replacing sensor + ECU

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
hjns
Year and Model: 2006 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Switzerland
hjns

Re: DPF temp sensor DTC fault - even after replacing sensor + ECU

Post by hjns » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:18 am

doublebug wrote:
Hi Doublebug,

Many thanks for logging and uploading. Well appreciated!
Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of difference between your graphs and mine. I will try to screen capture again.

I also noticed that when (1) the motor is not running, but (2) the key is in position II, and (3) I leave the radio on, then after 5 min the car will give me a notice that the Battery is low. The last 4 times, I was then not even able to start the motor without external help (i.e., external starter battery). This is even though while driving, the Voltage hovers around 13.5V.

Therefore, I just bought a new 95Ah battery, and will replace the old one with it. Let's see what will happen....

hjns
Switzerland
hjns

Post by hjns » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:03 pm

Video showing DPF temp sensor, catalyst temp sensor, and DPF pressure sensor without issues:
Video with the CEL turning on around 3.55:

doublebug
Year and Model: XC90 2007 D5
Belarus
doublebug

Post by doublebug » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:10 am

Since you've said that particle sensor is new I would say that catalyst sensor is bad. I think it shows temperature higher than it should.
It shows temperatures higher than DPF one almost every time and according to the temperature dynamics comparing to my video.
At a time of CEL you had 140 degrees of difference and DPF temperature is almost not growing that is not normal.
Just compare with my video again looking at the temperature change dynamics.
If you have questions about Volvo firmware ask me. I may know an answer :)

hjns
Switzerland
hjns

Post by hjns » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:09 am

doublebug wrote:Since you've said that particle sensor is new I would say that catalyst sensor is bad. I think it shows temperature higher than it should.
It shows temperatures higher than DPF one almost every time and according to the temperature dynamics comparing to my video.
At a time of CEL you had 140 degrees of difference and DPF temperature is almost not growing that is not normal.
Just compare with my video again looking at the temperature change dynamics.
Hi doublebug, hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Small but interesting update from my side.

I took my car to another garage last Friday, who are also specialized in Heico tuning. They went searching for the root cause, and started measuring both sensors. The sensors themselves are good, and react as they should when they get enough voltage, but it looked like the catalyst sensor was not fed 5 Volts. This is in line with what you concluded!

They replaced many cables, removed again old cables with multiple solders. However, when test driving, they told me they still found DTCs. This is where they called me and told me that they had made a summary of all the issues and sent it to Volvo Sweden HQ. In the meantime, they asked if they could keep the car, or if I needed it this weekend. I told them I needed it, so they put everything together again. They billed me CHF 274 (about similar amount in USD, and about EUR 252) for all the work so far. They will call me again after they have heard back from Volvo Sweden HQ, and after they have crafted a nifty plan to get rid of this issue once and for all.

When I got my baby back on Friday evening, there was no DTC or CEL to be seen anywhere. I testdrove it (without hooking in Vida Dice) in Germany with a couple of max acceleration up to 185kmh (115mph) when some limiter kicks in. Still no DTCs or CEL. Overall I had a very nice reaction from the D5, and it is great that I have my 185hp back on demand without going in limp home mode every 10 minutes!! Today I will drive from Basel to Interlaken and back. This 160km trip is 120kmh max, and a nice longer duration test.

I have no idea what the new garage has done, but I suspect that either the replacement of the cables was really the solution, or they programmed the DPF out of the ECU without telling me (because that would be illegal here).

Either way, at this moment I am a very happy XC90 driver. So happy that I triggered the purchase of a Rica iSoftloader, to make a copy of the current ECU programming, just in case.... :D This iSL then also has some other advantages.... :mrgreen:

KR, Henk

doublebug
Belarus
doublebug

Post by doublebug » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:54 am

hjns wrote:Either way, at this moment I am a very happy XC90 driver. So happy that I triggered the purchase of a Rica iSoftloader, to make a copy of the current ECU programming, just in case.... :D This iSL then also has some other advantages.... :mrgreen:
You can ask me. I can do backup with your DiCE. :D

hjns
Switzerland
hjns

Post by hjns » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:34 pm

doublebug wrote:You can ask me. I can do backup with your DiCE. :D
Well, if anytime you are in Switzerland....

But any guidance how to do that would be appreciated. I have no experience, but I am willing to learn. I got Vida installed on a VM on a Win10 64bit laptop, and it connects to the car via Dice quite well. I would assume I can get other programs to work as well. But where should I start?

BTW, MODs, I am not sure if this is still within the MVS rules. If not, I am happy to take this offline.

KR, Henk

doublebug
Belarus
doublebug

Post by doublebug » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:53 pm

Everything is done remotely using my application for sharing DiCE over the internet.
The backup is done using my own software also.

hjns
Switzerland
hjns

Post by hjns » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:05 pm

Do you have more info online?

doublebug
Belarus
doublebug

Post by doublebug » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:38 am

No. No online information. That is is internal software I use when repairing Volvos.