IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

'96 850 T5 no vacuum at oil filler cap

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

nferi93
Year and Model: 1996 850
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Hungary
nferi93

'96 850 T5 no vacuum at oil filler cap

Post by nferi93 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:58 am

Hello All,

My problem starts to be a little confusing, and I don't really know where to proceed. At idle when I checked Crankcase ventilation, I noticed that smoke is coming out of the oil filler cap. I removed the clamp holding the black hose (that goes to the PCV breather box from the top of the engine) to the top of the engine and I felt that there is no vacuum at the hose, the pcv is not sucking. The PCV is cleaned, I can blow through it and feel the air coming up on the opening on the engine. The PTC nipple is also clean.

An other symptom is that when I drive about 60 miles on highway (so at a constant speed) I get fault code 231. After I clear it I can go another 150 miles on highway, and it wont return later that day. It will return instead when I will go again on highway a few days later. This occurs only on highway, and never in the every day, city traffic. One time I get also code 232 along 231 in the same circumstances.

Other symptom is that when I accelerate so that the turbo is boosting, and press the clutch and release accelerator to change gear, I can hear a whistling sound, like when the pressure is released, just like a blow off valve. I'm not sure if it is normal or not, but I don't remember I heard that in the past.

The last thing is an occasional hard start, usually when the engine is hot. Sometimes it starts really easy, then I shut off, and after 30 minutes I try to start, and it cranks and cranks, and after like 20 seconds it starts. The next time it will fire up after 2 cranks. I didn't manage to find any logic in when it starts hard.
Overall the car accelerates good, and drives fine, the only thing I noticed is, that when I release the accelerator and let it slow down in the gear, it is not so smooth, it will suddenly tuggle, but RPM wont rise or fall below normal.

What I done previously in the last 2 months:
-cleaned whole PCV system, engine ports too
-new rotor, cap, plugs
-replaced air filter
-replaced vacuum lines
-replaced fuel pump, and tried another fuel rail with regulator too
-tried alternate camshaft position sensor

I suspect a vacuum leak somewhere, but I have no idea where it can be, cause I checked all vacuum and boost lines and I couldn't see anything. (Although it could be a leak when there is pressure in the boost lines, but that wouldn't solve the no vacuum at idle on the PCV)

Sorry for the long post, but I tried to add as much details as possible. I read like all of the previous threads with these symptoms, but I find no similar to this, as I can not feel any performance issues.

Could someone help me investigate this issue? Do you have any ideas?

Thank You in advance

tryingbe
Year and Model: None
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
tryingbe

Re: '96 850 T5 no vacuum at oil filler cap

Post by tryingbe » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:09 pm

nferi93 wrote:Other symptom is that when I accelerate so that the turbo is boosting, and press the clutch and release accelerator to change gear, I can hear a whistling sound, like when the pressure is released, just like a blow off valve. I'm not sure if it is normal or not, but I don't remember I heard that in the past.

Your CBV could be torn. You'll have to take it off to check it.

85 GLH, 367 whp
00 Insight, 72 mpg