Almost a grand collected! Thanks to you donors. Donation Tally Here.
IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

Hard starting & hesitating to shift

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
ranger481vs
Year and Model: 2007
United States of America

Hard starting & hesitating to shift

Post by ranger481vs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:59 am

I just replaced my alternator on my 2007 XC90 3.2

The alternator seems to be working fine, however, the car now hesitates to start And hesitates to shift, as well. Did not have this issue before replacing the alternator, so not sure what I might have done, but concerned about some of the electrical connectors that I had to remove and reinstall, which was a pain in the butt. I replaced the map sensor, which was damaged upon removal.

I just checked the codes, and crank position sensor shows up. Wondering if, in fact, this is the problem, but seems kind of strange coincidence directly after replacing the alternator. Certainly no expert, but welcome opinions before I go ahead and replace the sensor. Thanks much! Matt
Attachments
B6FC6891-48BC-4A1B-8F47-C6C4A6856C6D.png

ranger481vs
United States of America

Re: Hard starting & hesitating to shift

Post by ranger481vs » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:08 pm

Update. I’m going to go ahead and replace the crankshaft position sensor since it’s a cheap part. Does anyone know if this is something that the dealer needs to reprogram or reset? Or is it just a thing that the car will relearn on it’s own?

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada

Post by oragex » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:43 am

Dont think it needs reprogramming but Id first check the wiring and connection to the sensor. I'd also try first a used sensor, not worth spending full price when you don't know for sure. I'd also look closer at any ground wires in the area, wires at the alternator, proper routing of the belt, ultimately the alternator regulator may not be the correct one for the car. In case you still have the old alternator just don't throw the regulator.

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles

ranger481vs
United States of America

Post by ranger481vs » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:23 pm

Thank you. The wiring for connector that plugs into the sensor looked a little sketchy. So, I redid that along with replacing the sensor ($20) eBay. All is well now, no more codes, and drives perfectly. Phew!

Return to “Volvo XC90 Forum”