IPD sale Volvo Parts

1998 s90 head gasket

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.
1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90
Indigno
Year and Model: 1998 S90
United States of America

1998 s90 head gasket

Post by Indigno » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:10 am

Hello, everybody.

My name is Kevin, and I need a little bit of help with a head gasket issue with my 1998 Volvo S90. As most of you probably know all to well, documentation on this vehicle is pretty much impossible to find without shelling out serious money on a shop manual. So I need some help with torque specs and the head torque sequence.

Background:
-Volvo s90 1998 with ~ 140k miles on it.

-Had it for about 15k of those miles, mostly highway (cross country trips for a big move)

-No other mechanical issues before this all started.

Problem:
-losing coolant. I lose about the amount in the coolant reservoir every 2-3 weeks. Started off as a fairly slow leak so I was just rollin with it due to circumstances at the time not allowing me a time or place to work on it and it didn't seem to be affecting performance or cooling at all. Until...

-oil turning milky. The dipstick tube started out very early on with a slight amount of crap on the stick. I have a universal dipstick in there and thought some crap got in the tube, so I made a better sealing dipstick with some bits of hose line and changed the oil (don't criticize the dipstick, I was/ am broke, don't see how it would cause this problem). I checked it a day or two later (short commute) and it seemed fine. Then...

-loss of power. Significantly less power on acceleration than when I bought it. Hard to get up to highway speed and stumbles and complains a lot when picking up speed, especially at lower end of gear.

-so I check the oil and it's milkier than before. There is also smoke coming out of the dipstick tube. So I do some research and decide to swap the PCV / flame trap. While doing this I changed out every fuel hose and vac line that looked or felt at all worn (most of them). I cleaned all of the hoses to the pcv thoroughly (none were cracked and my "full kit" didn't include them even though they were in the picture... another story), checked all of the coolant hoses for cracking and wear and for signs of leaking (all good). Cleaned the throttle body and intake manifold along the way. There was some oil pooled in the bottom of the intake manifold so I figured that the PCV was the likely culprit, since what I can gather is that a clogged unit will cause pressure in the oil system which can lead to oil moseying along wherever the hell it pleases. I also read that this issue can cause coolant in oil without there necessarily being oil in coolant (which I have not observed). So I put everything back together clean and tight with new rubber. I also flush the oil and change the filter to get the crap out.

-it worked great for about 4 days before stumbling comes back and power loss gets worse than ever. I check the oil and it is milkier than it ever was before. And now i start to notice smoke in my rear view mirror when I leave for work in the morning. I know it's winter, but a couple weeks ago was way colder in the morning than it is now and I never saw that. I also just moved the car from Colorado to Virginia last summer, so I'm fairly certain that it's warmer here than it ever was in Colorado in the winter. I also notice that the exhaust smells slightly sweet when I get out and take a whiff of the cancer gases.

-engine codes are all over the place. Codes usually read as emissions stuff, but I have gotten misfire codes once (I have checked it a few times between other non-mechanical stuff where I disconnected the battery, so he resets are probably to blame for that). The misfire code is consistent with the way it feels when it drives/ accelerates, though.

-I checked the coolant reservoir cap and there is no leak. I start the car from cold, let it idle until it starts to warm up then kill it and let it sit for 30-60 minutes and there is an audible suction noise (not pressure) when I do pop the cap. So it's at the very least holding pressure one way or another.

I have done a head gasket before on a 1985 Honda crx hf and that was a nightmare, so I'm pretty sure I can handle this (see attached images for example why) and this all seems like earlier warnings of the same issues there. I have ordered a gasket kit and new head bolts that should arrive tomorrow. I have found jack on the procedure for doing this, but I've already built a temporary "garage" out of a loaned camping awning and several tarps and started the tear down and I want to try to document this as best I can in pictures for those who are unfortunate enough to follow.

What I need are torque specs for the head bolts. Sequence and torque. I also need the torque for anything else I might need. I have https://goo.gl/kd132w however this seems to be missing some specs. Any help appreciated, I will award with a decent picture walk through, in PDF as well as one here, as a reward to the Volvo community for any help and manuals I can get (ISO technical writer).

Thanks, brahs.

P.S. any diagrams like below for this vehicle and procedures would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_6215.JPG
IMG_6229.JPG
IMG_6229.JPG (82.32 KiB) Viewed 331 times

Tags:

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: 1998 C70 Coupe
United States of America

Re: 1998 s90 head gasket

Post by RickHaleParker » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:16 am

As most of you probably know all to well, documentation on this vehicle is pretty much impossible to find without shelling out serious money on a shop manual.

Everything you need to know about the engine is in the link.

Engine http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_fil ... ioning.pdf

Wiring http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_fil ... Wiring.pdf

The head on these engines warp easy because they are so long. One of the reasons they invented the V6 and V8 is so they could use a shorter heads.

1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42
1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42

Indigno
United States of America

Post by Indigno » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:41 pm

Thanks, that's awesome. I'm still working on it now, taking pics along the way. I'm basically working under a system of canopies and tarps in my yard (in the woods) so the last couple days I haven't been able to get a ton done. No garage. Just been too cold to be super efficient when the cold metal is sucking the heat out of your fingers.

I'll start an Imgur with everything and try to doc what I do once Christmas is through or I finish. This stuff will pretty much make this a waste of time. But, considering that info in this car is so scarce, I figure that someone will find pics useful.

Progress: intake manifold and everything above it is out. Got held up getting spark plug cover out due to someone prior over-torquing the star bolts to the point that when I tried to remove them the bolts stripped pretty much immediately. And, yes, I was using the proper bits and not hex or a flathead jammed in. Had to take a dremel to a couple bolts to give myself a groove that I could pop a flathead into and tap with a hammer to get hem to turn.

Check out the pics below, though. I just noticed this. There seems to be something missing from the car. There are two tubes that look like exhaust or air intake or something that is missing a line between them.

Some sort of breather or emissions or HVAC thing? Are these two open pipes supposed to be connected? What to each/ both do? Do I need a special part/ type of hose or could I get away with HVAC type tubing or something similar? Or are they really supposed to be like that?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_6386.JPG
IMG_6385.JPG

RickHaleParker
United States of America

Post by RickHaleParker » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:21 am

It is missing a flex hose. It is the preheating air intake. The lower one runs over to the exhaust side where it picks up heat.
Attachments
IMAG0158.jpg

Indigno
United States of America

Post by Indigno » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:33 pm

Hmm. How critical is this part? Obviously I don't want to leave it off forever, but it may have to wait a week or two.

RickHaleParker
United States of America

Post by RickHaleParker » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:35 pm

Wait a week, without it your lose some fuel economy, gain some top end power but it won't hurt anything.

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940

Post by 93Regina » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:08 pm

RickHaleParker wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:21 am
...missing a flex hose....
If intake is getting year round hot air, can you say "here comes a head job?"

In colder climates, exhaust heat assist in warming up engine sooner...on my 240/940, the tubing on exhaust heat side is removed.

Piet22
Year and Model: V90 98
Netherlands

Post by Piet22 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:04 pm

On the bottom of the airfilter box is a flap that is operated by a waxcartridge (same principle as the thermostat).
Its purpose is to ensure that if the outside temperatures drops below 4 degrees Celcius preheated air is supplied to the engine.
Unfortunately, after 10 years in most cars the wax cartridges do not work anymore so the flap is dead and regardles of the outside temperature preheated air is supplied
In the summer, especially in warm climates, this may lead to overheating of the MAF sensor.
Simple solution is to remove the flex hose from the airfilter box in the beginning of spring and push it on again in the autumn.

In this post on of the Dutch V700 club you will find a picture of the old and dead wax cartridges and a new one: https://volvo700vereniging.nl/node/52711

dm635
Year and Model:

Post by dm635 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:47 pm

as listed above do not hook up the preheat hose. take the flap in the air filter box and secure it to where it pulls from the front. the so called wax solenoid fails to the hot side cooking the MAF. even in cold climate in Ky it doesn't need that preheat. Warms up just fine.you have a bad head gasket for sure as I just went through it. yes, I had the milk shake throughout the engine. But I decided to do an engine swap. I plan to keep driving a 960 for quite some time. This one I've had 5 years and a total of 4 over the years. Due to that I'd like to see some pics and maybe some tips. I've not done a head gasket and I'm sure I'll need to if I do keep driving these fine RWD bricks. They are great cars, providing you start with a working maintained one.

96-964
91'745

86-635CSi 215K

Previous- 83 245T, 84 242, 85 242T, 92 960, 94 960, 95-964, 95-945

RickHaleParker
United States of America

Post by RickHaleParker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:30 pm

Due to that I'd like to see some pics and maybe some tips. I've not done a head gasket and I'm sure I'll need to if I do keep driving these fine RWD bricks. They are great cars, providing you start with a working maintained one.

Keep the linked pdf where it cannot get lost but don't hide it from yourself. I printed it off double sided and put it in a binder and keep it on my S90. It has everything you need to know about the engine.

B6244, B6254 and B6304 Reconditioning: http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_fil ... ioning.pdf

Return to “Volvo 240, 740, 760, 780, Bertone, 940, 960, V90, S90 Forum”