IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

XC90 Stripped hole on wheel hub

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Pretribrapper
Year and Model: 2011 XC90 V8
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Pretribrapper

XC90 Stripped hole on wheel hub

Post by Pretribrapper » Tue May 07, 2019 7:15 am

I noticed the other day that my xc90 was missing a lug. I simply went out and bought a new one and noticed that I stripped it putting it in. My guess is the last place that rotated my tires over torqued the lug and messed it up but I cannot prove. Any way that I can fix this without having to get a new wheel hub and still be able to use volvo oem lugs?

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: XC90 Stripped hole on wheel hub

Post by jimmy57 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:45 am

Heli-coils are not good for this. Those do not tolerate re-use well at all. The "spring" will walk out of the hub when the lug bolt is screwed in after a couple of removals. TimeSert will work great as it is a solid insert with a larger tapered stop and since it is an insert you can put loc-tite on the outside and it won't get through to the threads for lug bolt. BUT, either of these thread repairs in that large metric size pushes up to the price of a hub. Spending $90-$100 fixing that hub is damn sure going to make that injured hub go bad, at least in my personal experience of how fate or whatever works.
These users thanked the author jimmy57 for the post:
Pretribrapper

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:32 pm

1+,

Options are:

1. Drive with 4 lugs, probably good enough but...

2. With a car this age/mileage, maybe good idea to get new hub, which is about $140 for F.A.G. brand.
These users thanked the author cn90 for the post:
Pretribrapper

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

Masscomguru
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Masscomguru

Post by Masscomguru » Tue May 07, 2019 8:07 pm

If they over torqued that lug, chances are they also did the others... if it was recent, have them replace the hub(s). If not, I wouldn’t mess around with it and just get it replaced.
These users thanked the author Masscomguru for the post:
Pretribrapper

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Fri May 10, 2019 12:42 am

Just had something similar happen to my BMW. I was able to buy a tap of the correct size/pitch and fix the problem. On mine only the first few threads were messed up so after I got them repaired the lug bolt went in and gripped to torque without issue. Most better tire places have the tap on hand or you can buy it.

If the threads are gone it will not work. If in doubt post a picture.

At this point I agree with above - specifically just replace the hub. TimeSerts are great, but you will be into the project for about the price of a hub - and then have a TimeSert set up you will most likely never use again.

The other solution would be to go up one size on that lug and source the new lug bolt - and buy the tap or have it done. Not a fan of this, but it is a potential solution. You will acquire a tool you will never use again so it may not be worth it.

TimeSert or up a size can be done by a shop - swap price of parts for labor, although you should come out ahead.
These users thanked the author SuperHerman for the post:
Pretribrapper