IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo Wholesale Parts - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Spooky, high-pitch noise on 1994 940 wagon

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

RedBrickRoad
Year and Model: 1994 940
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
RedBrickRoad

Spooky, high-pitch noise on 1994 940 wagon

Post by RedBrickRoad » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 pm

When I turn on my 1994 940 wagon, And put it into gear, occasionally, I hear a high-pitched "whirring" noise, kind of like a theremin (i.e. kinda spooky sounding). It is not very loud and it changes pitch as the speed of the car increases. At some point, perhaps when going 15mph (25kmph) or faster, it stops all together, or at least I can no longer hear it.

Additionally, the noise briefly changes pitch (a bit louder, or higher??) when I put the car back in park.

I can only hear the noise when I'm inside the cabin.

I'm happy to provide any additional information, I just don't know where to start. I've taken one entry-level mechanics course at an adult extension school and this is my first car, so be gentle with the vocabulary :D

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: Spooky, high-pitch noise on 1994 940 wagon

Post by jimmy57 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:50 pm

To be better able to answer tell us more.
When engine is idling out of gear and then in gear does the noise change if you turn steering wheel either direction? (might indicate power steering pump noise)
When out of gear and engine running at idle does turning on headlights make noise louder or quieter? (alternator or alternator belt noise)
Does noise go way if engine has run for more than 15 minutes of driving?
These users thanked the author jimmy57 for the post:
RedBrickRoad

RedBrickRoad
Year and Model: 1994 940
United States of America
RedBrickRoad

Post by RedBrickRoad » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:25 pm

Great questions.

1. when going from neutral/park into drive there is a momentary change in sound. Nothing changes when the wheels are moved side-to-side.
2. No change in sound when the headlights are switched on.
3. Only driven it once for more than 15 minutes, but it was before noticing the noise (see below for why not more driving yet).

Further things I figured out today:

1. AC compressor is not working. When we connected the battery, the compressor started spinning, so possibly a leak somewhere in the system, or could simply be out of fluid. Going to check that tomorrow.

2. The pulley connected to the crankshaft wobbles some, so it's possible the wobble translates, inside the passenger cabin, into the noise. Previous owner had crank seal replaced, so it might be related to that.

3. Found a small leak in the power steering pressure hose, so going to replace that tomorrow and see if that affects anything.

Jvell960
Year and Model: 1995 960
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
Jvell960

Post by Jvell960 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:23 pm

Perform the pcv glove test on your engine, engine off, remove the oil fill cap, place a latex glove over the inlet use a rubber band if needed, start engine look for the glove to blow up or collapse, if it blows up then your problem is the pcv system is clogged and your having pressure buildup in the crankcase. OR remove the oil dipstick, if smoke blows out same problem. This will cause a high pitched squeal as the air is being blown out pass the oil fill cap. Service the pcv system ASAP as this can cause your engine seals to blow out! My car 95 960 was doing the same thing and I've never heard of a pcv system (on Volvos) consists of hoses and a box attached to the engine block FCP sells the kit. If your car doesn't have this lucky you, just replace the pcv valve. FCP also has vid on replacing the system components Good Luck Bro!