IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics My Swedish Parts ad - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Front End Clunk

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

michaelunderway
Year and Model: 2000 v70xc
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
michaelunderway

Re: Front End Clunk

Post by michaelunderway » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:31 am

Thanks for the info Pete. My steering has felt a little weird when I am going slow in a parking lot and making sharp turns. There is definitely something wrong. I will check the CV joint where it goes into the transmission. I am wondering if it came out when I replaced the spring seat and sway bar end links? They are usually pretty difficult to get out. I have a new call joint on order and will see where to go next after that is installed.

michaelunderway
Year and Model: 2000 v70xc
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
michaelunderway

Re: Front End Clunk

Post by michaelunderway » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:24 pm

So today I replaced the lower left ball point, it took around 35 minutes from start to finish and so far the clunk has not returned. The old ball joint was a lot worse off then I thought. A few tips for the who have never done it. Remove the steering spindle instead of trying to do it on the car, It only takes about 10 minutes to remove the tie rod, axle shaft, calipers and remove the strut bolts. Then remove the ball joint not and your done. Remove the old ball joint with a brass punch and the a flat screwdriver. Clean up and grease the socket. !!! make sure that you put the new ball joint in the freezer over night!!! it should almost slide right in. I used a piece of 2" schedule 40 pvc pipe with a cap and a rubber mallet and once i had the holes lined up, it took about 3 taps the have it seated. Then just replace everything and torque to spec. This can be done with basic hand tools. Thanks for all the help finally getting rid of the clunk that I have had for months.