IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Lost key/Installation of Keyless Remote

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
nordicscandicgirl
Year and Model: 2013 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
nordicscandicgirl

Lost key/Installation of Keyless Remote

Post by nordicscandicgirl » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:06 pm

Im helping my parents in rural Northern Wisconsin. They misplaced the key to my 2013 XC90. I know I can order an inexpensive fob online, and then have my car towed to the nearest dealership to have them program it. I know I can also find a Nasdif certified locksmith and have them do it, for probably the same price. I may have an old fob at my home, one I lost in the past, and then found after programming a new key. :? Could I possibly use that key and reprogram it myself? Or could I install a keyless remote system now, which Ive wanted to do anyway? Is there an issue with not having a key to complete that installation?

TJ

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Lost key/Installation of Keyless Remote

Post by abscate » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:20 am

Welcome TJ

I don’t know the 2013 line well, but I think any Volvo post 1999 requires a VIDA SUBSCRIPTION ( not just the software you can buy online) and thus its a dealer only option. I don’t think locksmiths can do this.

You can reprogram your found remote at the dealer too, and the second one should be almost free.

I have 7-9 drivers depending on who is home so I put Tiles on all the primary car key so we can keep track of these $450 items

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

nordicscandicgirl
United States of America
nordicscandicgirl

Post by nordicscandicgirl » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:02 am

.....I’m honored to officially be here, even more ecstatic I got my first reply. Remember Sally Field’s Oscar acceptance speech? “Oh gosh, oh my, I can only say, they like me, they really do, they really, really, really like me!!”
Well this moment is NOTHING like that, its so much COOLER!! I’ve stalked this website for years with the belief knowledge is power. Power is everything when it comes to haggling over car repairs, or which ones are legit. I scoff and speculate at complimentary synthetic oil changes. (No thank you. I will do it myself)
Yes, I too share the unspoken motto of you wisemen, sages, and desperados of the unknown and open road: “KEEP IT ROLLING!”
(Now, if I could only find my keys!)
VIDA, its on the list!

Thank you,Thank you, Thank you.

yagger
Year and Model: S60 2005 2,5T
Belarus
yagger

Post by yagger » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:26 pm

There are at least 3 ways to make keys for car (with special details).
First at all, you have to understand, key for xc90 consist 2 devices: immo chip and remote control itself.
Immo chip locate in the head of key (inside).
Remote control PCB locate in the button enclosure.
When you push the button on the remote control you send RF signal to central lock/unlock system to open/close doors.
When you put key to ignition, immo system read info from immo chip for check your code (if your immo chip right, system approved start of engine, if no, it will be locked)

You have to separate terms when say about "key programming". Some people say key but they thing about full key - immo + remote.

For each choose (immo or remote control) you have 3 options:
1. official dealer
2. local auto locksmith
3. online service.

Online service means you have to send there your CEM and ECM, also you have to confirm you are owner of car. They return to you programmed key to your CEM and ECM (with new metal blade) + remanufactured remote (with special barcode), but you still have to ask local locksmith to cut shape of metal blade for your ignition, after this you can start engine if there are no other issues with system. Also, if you want to use remote control, you have to program it to car, and again, there are options:
dealer or online service (if you have necessary equipment).

Volvo electronics and programming.Yagger&Doublebug - our experience invaluable.
Aftermarket Online Data Transferring Service for Volvo Pass: total

nordicscandicgirl
United States of America
nordicscandicgirl

Re: Lost Immobilizer Chip

Post by nordicscandicgirl » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:32 pm

Thank you for sharing that with me. I can’t wait to nonchalantly use ‘IMMO’ in my next conversation. When I see the ‘looks of bafflement’ I’ll try being as informative and patient as you. Nothing is too nerdy or technical when people talk about what they know. Its fascinating, or mind boggling that everything has its own culture/sub-culture and language. Thanks to all of you, the Electronic Cluster Panel is no longer that ‘whatchamajiggy’. I dont know how some people sleep at night, without knowing whats up? When you begin to learn and study how one system works, you can pretty much make those same applications work in an entirely different system.
I say that because when my hot water heater stopped working for several days, I figured out the paint fumes activated the vapor sensor, which shut down the water heater. (And just like reprogramming a key to your car, you have to follow a very specific sequence of on off,on off, on off, (I can’t remember the exact number now) but if you do it correctly and wait a bit...there is nothing like the sound of an automatic pilot light when it engages.) Wrong forum I know. My point is, what I learned on my own from that, gave me some experience. After a few more painting projects, the vapor sensor did become faulty. I just reordered one from Amazon and I installed it myself. Honestly, I did say a Prayer right before I turned it on. I think I danced in the basement after that.
Somehow, this is all-related? This is my first forum (EVER!) I will learn. I promise.

Thank you and goodbye?