IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Arduino Volvo Display Thread

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Re: Arduino Volvo Display Thread

Post by vtl » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:58 am

General-purpose Linux is bad for automotive needs. It kills me that the 4D display initializes for more than 3 seconds. RPI boots even longer.
05 XC70 260k, 16 XC60 40k, 19 Tundra 1k

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:34 pm

vtl wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:58 am
General-purpose Linux is bad for automotive needs.
That's disappointing. I love Linux, and am decently handy with it. Thanks for all your input on this. It's extremely interesting.
These users thanked the author matthew1 for the post:
dreiduke
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

vtl
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:39 pm

There's Automotive Grade Linux :) It boots to operational state in a few seconds. However it's not RPI.

I'm doing Linux kernel for life btw ;)
These users thanked the author vtl for the post:
dreiduke

vonbaron
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Australia
vonbaron

Post by vonbaron » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:06 am

Just found and read all this thread and am inspired.

Like you Vitaly, I do hardware and software development, from small Arduino style boards, including DUE and SAMD through to GNU/Linux programming.

Now, this is a neat project and one that I would love to have in my XC70, and as you mention, it's a great way to watch what's going on. I like that I can see the transmission solenoids and the current for the linear solenoids, very cool indeed.
I know I can see this in VIDA, but driving with 'Lappy' running VIDA and Dice cables is not a safe way.

Now, I would not use an RPi in any situation, plain toys in my opinion, not open source, but rather, a better designed and true open source designed such as Olimex based boards.

I'm thinking either to pull out one of my Taiji-uino DUE boards for a play with this or to look more seriously at using the Olimex A20 LIME-II board on the bench idly doing nothing.

With a small SBC like above, running headless Debian (Armbian to be exact), and running a small web server might be interesting, like how 'drieduke' mentioned,
Hi,
Suggestion: instead of this overpriced 4D sys Display, the ESP32 could act as an Webserver to host all the data on a webpage, so one could just use its smartphone as Display.
It could be programmed up in either C/C++ or I suspect quite well in Python 3.x too, which is where I have been spending a fair bit of my time in recent months. One process for polling CAN data and stuffing that into a memory map area or REDIS instance, with another process being the web server pulling stuff from REDIS when web clients wants data.

I use this approach for my developing industrial SCADA system, which sort of what this is, right :D
The idea of using a web server doesn't necessarily mean using a smartphone to have a display, but offers many more possibilities for various displays, such as WiFi connected Android tablet, connected display via HDMI to monitor with SBC running a web client application as well.

Using a SBC like an Olimex A20, means you can have a SATA drive, say solid state (SSD) and then that allows a lot of data to be stored. The SBC has Ethernet, so connectivity to your home network to update the application or to download stored event data is easy. Imagine, logging and storing sensor data for anything you want or need that can then be view on screen in any number of good javascript charting libraries. As well, the data can be exported and viewed in any other manner a person feels comfortable with, even if they do elect to use MS Excel :twisted:

Well, this is a fantastic project, I will keep this up in my list of open browser tabs and think more on over the coming while :)
I've checked out the Arduino code and it all make sense to me, so keep up the excellent work Vitaly and others.
Von Baron

vtl
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:52 am

The new hw is not robust enough to poll the data like Due does (MCP2515 has a shallow tx buffer?). I redid the sw to use A5/A6 XX ... 02/03/04, the CEM should send the needed data repetitive on its own, but didn't bother to test it yet.

The Arduino code is pretty much a generic C with some bits of C++. Adapting it to any other OS is not a big deal.