IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Engine System Service Urgent, from bad to worse

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

SVO LOU
Year and Model: 01 V70 XC, 06 V70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
SVO LOU

Engine System Service Urgent, from bad to worse

Post by SVO LOU » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:01 pm

So my son is home for Christmas holidays from college, I ordered lower control arms last month so I could change them when he was here with his 01 XC70. I was able to change them and put new tires up front, all great so far, or so I thought. He also told me it has 2 messages, "Engine System Service Required", and "Engine System Service Urgent". No big deal I say, I'll just pull the codes. I get a P044 Evap Emissions code but it has intermittently come up in the past on that car for some reason. I clear the code and the 2 warnings remain, and here's where it gets fun...

I disconnect the battery and forget about the position II thing and now I have no AC controls/lights at all. Fuses all good. That thermistor fine wire is broken but if I hold the 2 wires together while starting the car it doesn't help.

I have an old 03 xc70 I use to scavenge parts from so I grab the Climate control panel from it and remove the one from my son's car without disconnecting the battery. Not only does it not work but I now have a "SRS - airbag - urgent" warning as well.
The car drives well, and no OBD-II codes have come back, and he could live with the air bag light but no AC controls sucks when it's raining or very cold.
Any guesses out there? Guess I'm really just venting. I have the vida/dice laptop/software but no interface yet.
Thanks for listening

ADent
Year and Model: v70 T5M 2001
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
ADent

Re: Engine System Service Urgent, from bad to worse

Post by ADent » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:37 pm

You need VIDA to reset the SRS - airbag light, happens when removing the climate controls w/o battery disconnect.

I assume you have tried the battery remove thing a second time, using the right procedure.
These users thanked the author ADent for the post:
SVO LOU

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:56 pm

As above, the SRS message is only because when the Climate control (CCM) was out with the battery still connected, the car network lost for a moment communication with the SRS system (all these are interconnected for some reason) and started to 'panic'. So no SRS functionality problem, only need to clear the message/code.

For the CCM, the 2003 may not be compatible with the 2001. Try finding either a 01-02, or if you are used with electronics, try to swap the small thermistor. You'll need to undo the back cover - several screws and side clips quite tricky, then the electronic board to access and unsolder the thermistor. No need to detach the front plate.
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
SVO LOU

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 V70
United States of America
volvolugnut

Post by volvolugnut » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:48 pm

Consider the Autophix ES610 scan tool for SRS reset. This scan tool is only for Volvo cars, but will reset the SRS fault and others. It worked for me and much cheaper and easier than getting VIDA set up.
volvolugnut
These users thanked the author volvolugnut for the post:
SVO LOU
2001 V70 T5, 1986 244DL, 1983 245DL, 1975 245DL, 1959 PV544, multiple parts cars.

SVO LOU
United States of America
SVO LOU

Post by SVO LOU » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:55 pm

Thanks guys.
I have the thermistor ready to de-solder off of that 03, hope it's the same as the 01.
I already have the vida on a laptop but will check out that autophix if I can't get a dice in a decent amount of time.
I tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery several times now, the procedure is turn accessories off, key off, disconnect battery....wait...Key in Pos.II, re-connect battery, turn key off, and then use key (no fob) to lock/unlock drivers door 5 times, am I correct?

SVO LOU
United States of America
SVO LOU

Post by SVO LOU » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:53 pm

So quick update.
Last thing I did was pull off the MAF and spray it with electronic parts cleaner to see if I that was causing the Engine System Service Urgent/Required warnings, never started it, just disconnected the battery to pull off the climate display.
So I transferred that thermistor from the 03 climate display to the 01, a fairly straight-forward procedure, then re-connected the battery with the correct procedure of Pos II on the key then locking/un-locking the door. Started the car and the Climate display works!!! Miracle.
The car then stalled. Tried it again and same thing, and no throttle response either. Looked at the motor and noticed that when I was jostling the MAF I broked the inlet air tube at the turbo. Aargh. Removed it off the spare parts car and it started fine. I thought maybe it was already cracked causing those messages but they remained.
Car drives fine and has no check engine light or codes but still has the SRS service and Engine System Service Urgent/Required messages. I'm not fond of having the airbag light on but at least it can be driven in cold/rainy weather now.

SVO LOU
United States of America
SVO LOU

Post by SVO LOU » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:09 pm

So here's another good update.
I ordered the DICE and it came in already so I hooked it up, muddled through the menus, and was able to clear the SRS-airbag warning. I also found what's causing the 'Engine System Service Urgent" message...Apparently it's the Accelerator Pedal (AP) position sensor. Am I safe to assume that it's the same that other manufacturers call the throttle position sensor and mounted to the throttle body?
Thank you

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:06 pm

Clear the code and see if it comes back. Changing accelerator position sensors works about 1 in 10000 occurrences
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
SVO LOU
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:10 pm

My sister on my old 2002 XC70 had the accelerator position sensor issue, against my advice she changed the pedal assembly with no change. She used VIDA and followed the fault trace process and ended up with a relay as a potential cause. She swapped the relay from her donor XC90 (part number match) and the issue resolved.

The sensor may be the same part number as the 2003 and not require any software - if so swap from the donor as it is there.

On the 2001 XC70 it has the dreaded MM throttle body which I believe was changed out to a Bosch unit after 2001 or 2002 - not sure if this is your issue. The units made by MM and Bosch are not swappable.

My sister's son is a computer wiz - the XC70 is the only car he gets to drive. When I was down there I told him, master the system with your skills and help your mom - incentive is you have a car to drive. The convoluted Volvo VIDA system/computer was a piece of cake for him to master. You don't need to buy anything else for the Volvo - VIDA will troubleshoot and clear most issues - it just is not the easiest to use.
These users thanked the author SuperHerman for the post:
SVO LOU

SVO LOU
United States of America
SVO LOU

Post by SVO LOU » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:39 pm

Appreciate the help, guys.
Although I'm very much a novice to VIDA I cleared all the codes but the above remains. I re-seated the connector of that sensor but the message won't clear. Can't find a way in the software to test the sensor, in real-time. Maybe that capability isn't even possible with VIDA but I'd just like to start pin-pointing the problem.
Is there a good how-to for VIDA in general?