IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Belt fail timing jump

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
brushhippie
Year and Model: 2006 V50

Belt fail timing jump

Post by brushhippie »

I was recently driving along and my 2006 V50 suddenly died..all the lights on the dash lit and it was dead..tried to crank it..got a slow whining crank..spinning but slow..checked under the hood found alternator belt shredded.
I had it towed home and checked the battery all connections..charged it fully as well...but still the slow cranking..changed out the relay..I am down to thinking the starter..but it just seems odd the starter would fail at the same time the belt did..any ideas yall?.Thanks
Last edited by brushhippie on Fri May 15, 2020 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
brushhippie

Re: Slow cranking after belt fail

Post by brushhippie »

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6

Post by June »

Did the belt wrap around the crankshaft pulley? If so it is known to effect the timing belt.

It is a problem on the S60 2.5 for the belt tensioner to fail, allowing the belt to wrap around the crankshaft pulley causing the timing belt to fail. Essentially damaging the valves. I personally have been in for service many times hearing customers getting the bad news. I know your car is not a S60, but you had a serpentine belt fail and it is not unlikely the same result may occur.

Your video sounds like the engine is lacking compression. So I would check the timing belt to see if it jumped. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned
brushhippie

Post by brushhippie »

I thought the same thing..(after it ignited fuel in the exhaust sytem) pulled the plugs..yep..nope..compression zero..I am assuming what you suggested is exactly what has happened..timing marks above are aligned as they should be but number one is not on TDC..damnit I believe the engine this one replaced had that issue..minus the shredded belt. Looks the overhaul will be sooner than I expected..oh well..it will take away all question marks..thanks for the input June! Bright side..this will be my third pull..in the correct order..this is not a terribly hard job.
June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6

Post by June »

I hated to even suggest it! At least you are proficient at R&R... keep us informed. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned
brushhippie

Post by brushhippie »

Not something I necessarily enjoy..lol..but I have done much worse, ..the badge brings along a bit of stigma..oh god..not a volvo!.It was quite similar to my Festiva..minus removing the entire front clip of course!..I will indeed keep you informed..I have the head off the original motor that I think suffered the same fate.I am going to take it up to my machine shop guy and have him do his bit..the other motor did not have holes in the top of the pistons so I am thinking this one will be much the same..although this motor had really good compression (buck twenty and up) when I put it in there..12000ish miles ago.
brushhippie

Re: Belt fail timing jump

Post by brushhippie »

I retitled this thread since we have found the issue..NOW..the engine I pulled from the car before installing this one did basically the same thing..now I keep hearing about bent valves but neither of these engines contacted the valves I believe. Went back in the shop after the original head..after inspecting it..I really do not think it bent anything..taking it to the machine shop this week and have my guy go through it..it appears to me to have had at least one valve replaced already. I have decided I am going to go ahead and re-ring it and replace the bearings while I am at it THEN..I will know..I really know nothing about it as it stands..the S40 it was in had a dash fire so I do not even know how many miles are on it..I know it had 120 plus on all five..but that is all...I shall keep those interested informed..thanks!
brushhippie

Post by brushhippie »

I have actually had another thought..I am going to install a new timing belt and then run compression..see if in fact there are bent valves..if so then I will put the other head on which suffered no damage.
June was correct.
brushhippie

Post by brushhippie »

As everyone else has mentioned..I am having fits getting the damn damper nut off..really no way to keep the crank from turning..I have ordered the cam and crank tool to hold them in place..I am hoping the crank stop will hold it well enough to get the nut loose with a socket and cheater..surely it will take the force? I did get it pretty much apart otherwise and there are at least a couple of layers of that shredded belt wrapped around the lower pulley.
brushhippie

Post by brushhippie »

I have since read somebody broke the crank stop trying to do that..that would not do..maybe something more significant in the crank stop hole...