Amazon Black Friday deals
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Volvo XC90 - Why you love yours!

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
songzunhuang
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5, 2004 XC90

Re: Volvo XC90 - Why you love yours!

Post by songzunhuang »

xc90driver wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:11 pm So much we love about this car.

I love the height of the loading bay, and the fact that you can comfortably lie down flat in the car when the back seats are folded, without having the impression that you're lying on the floor of a trunk - it's very snug. Our youngest was delighted to "camp" in the car this way. The small ledge when opening the rear is also very useful for either picnic or changing shoes. When I pick up the kids from sports, I have them take off their muddy shoes on that ledge, then crawl through to the back seats with just their socks on.

We feel safe and comfortable on long trips, ready to confront all weather conditions especially with the new Michelin CrossClimate tyres. This comfort extends to the third row, which are more than just jump seats.

Changing (front) lightbulbs is a pleasure, no tools needed ! With our previous car, we literally had to go to a garage to get this done because of the poor design. Smart design choices like this have made the car pretty repairable as well, on the few occasions where this was needed. For example, the plastic cover next to the driver's seat controls tends to crack. It was almost effortless to order this spare part and install it. Moreover, you could see that Volvo had adapted the design of this part (adding a few internal ribs) so that the replacement wouldn't crack so easily. The car oozes quality all-round.

There's also a range of less attractive aspects of our car, but somehow she's managed to steal our hearts and I still my find myself smiling when I drive her.
Love all the little things you listed. I wanted to +1 on two of the items you listed.

That little tailgate / seat is awesome. We've had a picnic on that while the upper tailgate was open and providing us shade. I've used it for changing shoes and staging luggage and much more! It's such a useful feature.

Also wanted to +1 the changing of headlight bulbs. I can't believe how difficult other cars are. In my Honda S2000, the factory manual says that you have to take off the whole front bumper assembly to reach the bulb! That is just ridiculous. I found a way to go in from the wheel well by pulling back the splash guard. But when I called the dealer, they wanted several hundred dollars - to change a bulb! I am so impressed by how easy Volvo made the bulb changes on the XC.

On, one last thing. I have found Firestone Destination tires to be really quiet and long lasting. I had started with some Michelins, but they were much more droning and noisy. I'm on my 2nd set of Firestone Desination tires now, but maybe I'll look into the Michelins CrosssClimate next time.
Song Huang
www.thehuangs.com
2004 XC90 T6 AWD Ruby red
1998 V70 T5 - Hurt your eyes red
2000 S2000 - the non Volvo
1984 BMW 633CSi - I'm diversifying
matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997

Post by matthew1 »

Just look what XC90s do to people riding by on bicycles!

xc90-joy.jpg
xc90-joy.jpg (82.84 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

xHeart
Year and Model: 13XC90/01V70X/97N854

Post by xHeart »

songzunhuang wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:48 pm
xc90driver wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:11 pm
I love the height of the loading bay, and the fact that you can comfortably lie down flat in the car when the back seats are folded, without having the impression that you're lying on the floor of a trunk - it's very snug. Our youngest was delighted to "camp" in the car this way. The small ledge when opening the rear is also very useful for either picnic or changing shoes. When I pick up the kids from sports, I have them take off their muddy shoes on that ledge, then crawl through to the back seats with just their socks on.

That little tailgate / seat is awesome. We've had a picnic on that while the upper tailgate was open and providing us shade. I've used it for changing shoes and staging luggage and much more! It's such a useful feature.
Our Volvos ride on sets of Pirellis with 740 tread-wear. This combination has worked for us traveling the Great Lakes and Great Plaines.

Fits right in with tailgate party. Taking our dog is a new normal. The tailgate folding down makes our dog climb up, and jump down with ease. Walks are joyful in open spaces. She gets very excited when her special harness is put on -– she knows!
--
Golden Retriever | 2014D VIDA DiCE | 2020 V60CC | 2013A XC90 +150mi/241km | 2001 V70XC +200mi/322km | 1997 Volvo 850 +180mi/289km
Past: German Shepherd | 1989 Volvo 740 GL | 1979 Volvo 240
Lemmy
Year and Model: 2008 XC90

Post by Lemmy »

I love mine because its ultra reliable. In 12 years and 142,000 miles the only failire has been one of the HID bulbs. I figured the opposite side wouldnt be far behind, so replaced the pair.

And that's been it.

Its economical. Its a 185 D5 with the Pilestar upgrade and gives a rock solid 35MPG imp in mixed motoring.

Its spacious. I'm 6'5" and there is plenty of room.

Its supremely comfortable.

It's no Lotus, buts its decent to drive, yet has a lazy nature for just loping along.

And the best bit is the XC90 has no pretentions. X5 drivers are trying too hard to impress, and Q7 drivers simply look like gits.
June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6

Post by June »

If this is not reason enough for you, than nothing is! Someone survived in that XC90!!! June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

And the best bit is the XC90 has no pretentions. X5 drivers are trying too hard to impress, and Q7 drivers simply look like gits
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Same versions over here. Porsche Cayenne are the worst here. Who buys a car named after a pepper? If I want spice in my car, it will be Mel B (approved for the list by Ms Abscate)
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary