IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

'99 S70 sunroof jams when trying to close.

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

atikovi
Year and Model:
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
atikovi

'99 S70 sunroof jams when trying to close.

Post by atikovi » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:14 pm

Need some suggestions on this problem. First off, is there a reset procedure to reprogram the sunroof control module? The problem is that the sunroof tilts up fine but stays 1/4 high in the back when closing from the tilt position. Then it won't slide back because the back is too high unless I push is down by hand. Now the biggest problem is when I try to close it from the slide position. When I press the close button the roof acts like it wants to tilt open, and as a result, it jams between the headliner and roof. If I push forward on the sunroof while taping the switch on and off I can usually get it to slide home.

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:53 pm

After it slides "home" keep holding the close button for 5-7 seconds longer...this is suppose to reset the sunroof motor adaptives. Let us know if this fixed things.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

atikovi
Year and Model:
atikovi

Post by atikovi » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:32 am

If I keep pressing the close button after the sunroof is "home" the roof opens in tilt mode but even after holding the button in afterwards, it doesn't fix the problem. I may have to take roof panel out and look for a broken part that causes it to go into tilt up mode within the roof when it's slid back and I try to close it.

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:53 pm

I agree with you...something is causing it to spring back.

atikovi
Year and Model:
atikovi

Post by atikovi » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:22 pm

I got the sunroof out as well as the sunshade, wind deflector, cross rail etc. I can see small chuncks of missing plastic on both slider thingys. I don't know enough about all these little parts to tell what else is broken and what is good so I'll probably have to go to the junkyard and get a whole sunroof mechanism.

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:11 pm

Unfortunately, that sounds about right. I wouldn't know either unless some type of blockage is staring me in the face. I hope you find a working one at the junk yard. In the process of taking it out of the junked car and putting it in yours, you will probably learn a thing or two. We don't have anything in our repair database on a sunroof swap, so please document it and take some pictures and we'll post it up there for those that have future issues like you're having.

azureblue
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5
United States of America
azureblue

I am halfway there

Post by azureblue » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:13 pm

my 94 855T sunroof will not retract (but will tilt) due to a broken piece in the lifting mechanism. I went to a junkyard and got an entire track assembly. there isn't much to getting it out, except for the drive mechanism that clips into the track. You have to lift out a couple of pieces of plastic to get to where it attaches, then pull it straight up. Remove sunroof, remove a bunch of small screws, unscrew it from the sunscreen piece,and give it a knock to loosen it from the roof of the donor car.

I wish I could figure out how to remove the piece the sunroof mounts to, without having to remove the existing track, thereby saving the work to R & R the track drive cable...

But I will take pix of the work, once I get a round tooit. Mine broke...
2001 V70 T5, 180K. My seventh Volvo.

atikovi
Year and Model:
atikovi

Post by atikovi » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:10 am

I went to a pick and pull junkyard and got the whole sunroof frame for $42 total. I could have saved $15 if I didn't take the motor with it but I didn't want to fiddle around with those drive cables.

It took less than an hour to get it out of the car and I figured I'd learn how to remove all the trim parts on the junkyard car rather than my own. Basically the job requires you to get the headliner out so you can then get the sunroof frame out of the car. The order of the following steps is not too critical and you generally figure it out yourself. Remove the glass sunroof panel, remove the center map light unit, remove the mirror, pull off the center post trim panels and position out of the way, remove the A pillar trim and the trim over the rear doors at the headliner, disconnect rear headliner retaining clips with a screwdriver 1/4 turn, disconnect the connectors for the sunvisors that are now visible when the A pillar trim was removed, remove the sunvisors and clips, remove the trim around sunroof opening and headliner, remove the 4 grab bars, unclip the side panels at the back window just a little bit. Now all that holds up the headliner is some side clips and the back window panels. Just pry the headliner from the side clips and pull it forward from the back window side panels so it rests on the dash and tops of the head rests:

No need to remove it from the car. Then pull off the 4 sunroof drain hoses, disconnect electrical connector at the control module and remove 9 bolts that hold the unit to the roof. You might want to recline the seat backrests while removing the bolts and have them straight up when removing the last two bolts so the frame doesn't have to drop too far down from the roof. You will now have the frame sitting on top of the headliner which is on top of the headrests and dash. The last step is to get the frame out of the car through the trunk by folding down rear seat backs. To put it back, just reverse these steps.

Right now I've just bolted up the replacement frame and I'm in the process of putting everything back together.

atikovi
Year and Model:
atikovi

Post by atikovi » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:53 pm

Got everything back together and it works great. Now if anyone needs the motor, module or cables from the old frame cheap, let me know, I'll put them in the classified section.

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:25 pm

Wow, great job, atikovi!
Nice to see you were successful.
I'm adding this to the repair database.
Chears!
MIJ