IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

remote keyless entry re-programming.

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

claudio
Year and Model:
Been thanked: 0
claudio

Volvo Repair Database remote keyless entry re-programming.

Post by claudio » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:31 am

I took my 93 850 to the volvo shop to get the remotes tested and they work fine but i am still unable to re-program them. Is there anything else i should be looking for?

Has thanked: 0

Re: remote keyless entry re-programming.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:11 am

claudio wrote:I took my 93 850 to the volvo shop to get the remotes tested and they work fine but i am still unable to re-program them. Is there anything else i should be looking for?
Wagon or Sedan?
I had the same problem. Turns out the Tailgate Lock on a wagon seems to be the center of attention when you arm your locks etc. Make sure the lock is turned CCW or "Locked" (I think thats right) when programming, as well as all the doors "LOCKED" when you are inside. Once you finish programming, press the "unlock" button and see if the doors unlock. Thats how I finally got mine to work after 5 months of trying.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:27 pm

Well my tailgate lock is stuck in a vertical position and i can't move it.
i even tried to lube it but that did nothing. what does the vertical position mean?

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:53 pm

I am going through the same thing with my 850 wagon. The two original ones stopped working and I just purchased a new remote. All have good batteries.

The dealer told me all the doors and the hood must be closed but they didn't say locked. I have had no response from the remote and today I have the receiver (located to the right of the glove box) out of the car. No signs of any reset buttons inside the receiever but I did un-plug it and check fo 12 volts.

BTW my tailgate locking solenoid stopped working and upon removal and dissasembly I found the motor connections inside were not connected.

Let me know if you have any ideas what to try next. I would like to see if the keyless receiver is even connected to the locking system.

Del Schier
Anonymous wrote:
claudio wrote:I took my 93 850 to the volvo shop to get the remotes tested and they work fine but i am still unable to re-program them. Is there anything else i should be looking for?
Wagon or Sedan?
I had the same problem. Turns out the Tailgate Lock on a wagon seems to be the center of attention when you arm your locks etc. Make sure the lock is turned CCW or "Locked" (I think thats right) when programming, as well as all the doors "LOCKED" when you are inside. Once you finish programming, press the "unlock" button and see if the doors unlock. Thats how I finally got mine to work after 5 months of trying.

imtheish
imtheish

how to re-program?

Post by imtheish » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:49 pm

hello all =]

i was wondering if anyone would be willing to share about how to program the remote?

i just bought a 1998 s70 (YAY!) today and it did not come with a remote. i would like to buy a remote, and i was told that i didn't necessarily have to go to the dealer to program it..

any help is appreciated in advannce =]

acretella
acretella

Re: how to re-program?

Post by acretella » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:10 pm

[quote="imtheish"]hello all =]

i was wondering if anyone would be willing to share about how to program the remote?

i just bought a 1998 s70 (YAY!) today and it did not come with a remote. i would like to buy a remote, and i was told that i didn't necessarily have to go to the dealer to program it..

any help is appreciated in advannce =][/quo

***If you find out, let me know. I got one off ebay and the dealer told me it was useless without the CD that comes with the remote. I think that's a load of crap. There's got to be a way of programming off a generic CD. Let me know. email me at [email protected]

Thanks Tony

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:10 pm

I also have a '98 S70 and tried and tried to program it myself. There is no way in the world. Has to be done by the dealer. Take all of your remotes in at once. They do them in series and the old ones have to be reprogrammed. If you leave one at home, it will not work once the others are programmed. 3 can be programmed for your car. If you buy one off of ebay like I did, don't tell your dealer what you did...just tell him it quit working or something. My dealer charged my $25 for both of mine to be done (didn't have a 3rd one). Good luck.

BTW, the CD is a load of crap. It doesn't use a CD but instead the VT2000 tool through the OBD-II socket. They use your VIN to get a PIN number and that is used. I don't know any other details than this.

'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:32 am

I have a 2002 xc70 wagon with similar problems as to the remotes not working. I am the original owner and they are the original equipment. They became intermitent about 2 years ago and gradually stopped working altogether. I replaced the batteries to no avail. Is this a "programming" issue? Can anyone help with this most vexing problem?

Thanks!!! Rick
Anonymous wrote:
Wagon or Sedan?

angelglo
Year and Model:
angelglo

Post by angelglo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:53 pm

one of my remotes is also not working and it has a good battery. i remember walking one of the techs to my car (97 850 glt) and i gave him the remote. i think he turned the key, which was in the ignaition, about 3-5 times to the on position without starting it. after that, it was programmed. i cant remember exactly what he did. maybe the doors were locked. i will go out and try it again. i did do it one time about 3 years ago and it worked so i know it has to do with the ignition on position.

angel

angelglo
Year and Model:
angelglo

Post by angelglo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:58 pm

ok,

i went out and programmed my remote. it took less then a minute. i got in, locked the doors, and turned the key 5 times to the on position. not the start position. i then turned it all the way off and viola. it works.

angel