Missed last week? Ethanol in Fuel = GOOD for Performance?!. Take the Fast Friday Poll.
A Monster Bolt-On Turbo Kit
Customer Turned Vendor
This week for Fast Friday I thought I’d let my friend and fellow Volvo enthusiast Rye Z. talk about what he’s been doing in the performance market place and highlight the upcoming turbo kits and S60R build we’ve got planned for the middle of February. -- Lucky
The Beginning: Turbo Volvos
At the age of 17, with a little help from my grandfather, I was able to save up enough money to buy my first car. I had just seen the movie Ronin for the first time, so I had it in my head that if I wanted a fast 4 door car I HAD to buy an Audi. At my parent's request, I also test drove a Volvo because it was a "safer" car. The Volvo I happened to test drive was an 850 turbo and to my amazement it blew the doors off all the Audi 90's and A4's I had driven. Thus began my fascination with Volvos and turbochargers.
Eight years and 4 turbocharged Volvos later, I decided to start my own company called RZ Design with the intent to provide the Volvo enthusiast market with innovative, original, and high quality performance and cosmetic upgrades. I realized that there were product concepts that I, and other enthusiasts, might want that did not currently exist, and I set out to turn these ideas into reality. My first product was a bi-xenon retrofit kit for 98-00 S/V/C70s, and my first performance product was a direct replacement intercooler upgrade for 850s and S/V/C70s. A few months after releasing the RZ Design intercooler I decided I wanted to offer the Volvo market a complete turbo kit for anyone who wanted to go beyond just larger stock Volvo turbos.
The Move to the Mitsubishi TD05H
At the time I had been driving a 98 C70 manual coupe that I felt needed some more power, so I decided to use this vehicle as the test bed for developing a turbo kit. I had previously run an 18T from a 99 V70R, and then a custom hybrid turbo based on the 19T from a 2000 V70R. Because both these turbos were still "small" turbos, they would never provide the power I wanted, and I knew that there were other enthusiasts who felt the same. After researching literally every existing turbo on the market, I decided to base the kit on the Mitsubishi TD05H turbo. The TD05H is a similar (but scaled up) design to the TD04HL that Volvo has been using since the early 90's, which has proven to be an incredibly robust, reliable, and long lasting turbo. The TD05H shares these same advantages, but is capable of much higher output because of its size.
I ordered a Mitsubishi TD05H-16G and proceeded to build the kit around it.
The first version of the prototype kit (above) featured just the basics. Oil and water lines made with the highest quality components I could find, and the necessary gaskets and flanges. Work began on the installation and the kit was tweaked and expanded. Now, as the kit nears completion, it features:
- A milled R manifold.
- Stainless CNC v-band turbine outlet.
- Bosch's newest and most advanced injectors in 550cc or 650cc depending on application.
- RZ Design 14 blade (7 primary + 7 secondary) billet compressor wheel for more flow and faster response than the stock Mitsubishi TD05H wheels.
- Ball raced wastegate actuator arm for smooth operation and ultimate longevity.
- Anodized aluminum and stainless fittings.
- Hard line for oil return.
- Genuine Volvo hardware and gaskets.
I Have Been Grinning For The Last Few Weeks
I have been running the prototype kit on my C70 for the last few weeks and am incredibly pleased with the feel of the engine.
Surprisingly, the TD05H-16G spools almost as fast as the smaller stock turbos I have run, and even at lower boost it feels much faster. The low end torque tease followed by gutless top end that is characteristic of even the best stock turbo setups is now replaced with seemingly bottomless power all the way to redline. I am very excited for the release of this kit so that fellow enthusiasts can have as much fun as I have been having with this turbo over the last few weeks!
We’ll be installing the 20G into an S60R in the next few weeks so keep an eye peeled for plenty of pictures and videos as we share our install and tuning experiences!
~ ~ ~
- Questions, comments, arguments and freakouts accepted and encouraged. Really. Lucky WANTS to answer your questions.
- If you want to remain anonymous, email me your question or comment and I will post it as "Anonymous User".
- It takes Lucky and me several hours combined to bring you Fast Fridays. Your questions and comments validate FF's value.
- I write paragraph headlines, and sometimes article headlines. Yell at me if you find these not to your taste.
- Same thing with italics and bolds , they're all mine.
- Cams and turbos and MBCs and chips and... whoo!