IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2003 XC90 ABS/Anti-Skid Service Required

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
essant
Year and Model: XC90 2003
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
essant

2003 XC90 ABS/Anti-Skid Service Required

Post by essant » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:32 am

I have the above error displayed on the dash.

Using and Autel EU702 diagnostic unit I have the error code: "0021 Right front wheel sensor. Faulty signal."

So far I have changed the front right sensor and the front right abs sensor ring, both relatively easy and inexpensive, but the problem remains.

I can clear the error on the dash with the Autel unit, but when I drive the car it runs in 'limp mode' with the anti skid light flashing for for about 30 seconds, the car then displays the ABS/Anti-Skid.. error again and immediately starts to run normally.

Anyone any ideas or advice on where to look next?

Regards

Mark

DrivenMATTMAN001
Year and Model: XC90 2.9 T6 2004
DrivenMATTMAN001

Re: 2003 XC90 ABS/Anti-Skid Service Required

Post by DrivenMATTMAN001 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi Mark, we have an 2004 XC90 T6 the same message came up on ours on a family trip to the beach and we lost our breaks altogether!!! we carefully parked the car went off for the day and upon restart of the car the message had cleared and we had our brakes back everything went fine all the way home, however a recent trip to the city and the same thing happened, when we reached our street the Anti Skid Service Required message popped up brakes disappeared and we overshot our turning, we had some brake judder coming from the front N/S disc which at times was quite severe and created a really bad vibration through the steering, this anti skid warning only kicked in when the break judder became worse than normal, in my opinion this vibration in the front wheel threw a sensor somewhere along the line ( i believe the ABS sensor is located in the centre of the wheel ). I have since changed both front discs and replaced the caliper on the offending side also new pads have been fitted. This message has not been seen since and the wheel wobble has ceased....

essant
Year and Model: XC90 2003
essant

Post by essant » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:50 pm

That sounds a lot more dramatic than I've had!

I've been through and checked a number of things in the wiring loom and connectors today, the one thing I do have is that the code and how it appears is consistent. Which hopefully means that when I find it, I'll know I've found it.

Over the next couple of days I'll strip the hub and brake down again and see if I can find anything, the error code is pointing to the front right, will revisit that and see if I can find anything.

Thanks

Mark

DrivenMATTMAN001
Year and Model: XC90 2.9 T6 2004
DrivenMATTMAN001

Post by DrivenMATTMAN001 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:08 pm

No problem, hope you sort it :)

Matt

Chadbedford
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo xc90
Chadbedford

Post by Chadbedford » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:00 pm

I have the same problem. It seems like your talking about two different problems. Along with the anti skid issue. I have an abs sensor that won't go off. I have changed the front brakes, old pads were about 75% still. Changed them anyway. Going to do the back. Is there a rest button when brake job is performed. How do I get the abs light off.