IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

98 S70 GLT Trouble Shooting SAS P0410

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

ncaapicks
Year and Model: S70GLT 1998

98 S70 GLT Trouble Shooting SAS P0410

Post by ncaapicks »

I've got an upcoming date with the emissions folks in the Commonwealth of Virginia and have spent the last couple of weeks preparing for it. I've been battling evap codes for the last two testing cycles, so I've replaced the majority of my vacuum lines, crumbling elbows, and a perforated J-hose.

I 've experienced stalling and poor idling and traced it a torn bottom cap on my intercooler. Replacing the intercooler restored my idle, improved the performance of my turbo, and did away with the P0171 code I was getting.

I've got everything put back together, had zero codes, and was ready to go through the drive cycle exercises to set readiness monitors. Unfortunately, I'm showing a pending P0410.

My air pump has made noise previously, but it has always run on cold start and shut off after the minute or so. I'm thinking it unusual that it stops working after having pretty much everything forward of my engine taken apart. I've taken a cursory look and will recheck that everything has been connected where it should be. I guess I'll pull the pump and inspect.

I've got a number of links bookmarked and will progress from there. It appears that I'm going to have to add to my tool inventory to get at the bolts connecting the SAS valve. My 10mm socket doesn't look like it will work.

Will an open end or box wrench work? crows foot?

Can anyone identify the relay for my air pump? 98's relays are in the fuse box close to the firewall.

Power connector to my pump. I'm having some difficulty removing it. A little assist with a screwdriver?
I would be most grateful for some assistance/ hand holding here.

Item 2:
I was missing a hose after completing replacement of my turbo lines and found this at the bottom of my engine compartment.
It's the plastic line that runs from the PCV oil trap to the nipple on the PTC. I'm afraid I broke it when removing the air intake tube to the turbo. I Macgyver'd it with a piece of 1/2" tubing and a couple of clamps and reconnected everything. PCV service was done perhaps 25k miles ago and I have no issues with smoking dipsticks and glove tests. I need to get my emissions passed and tags renewed ASAP.

Will this fix give me any problems until the next service?

Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: Many Volvos

Re: 98 S70 GLT Trouble Shooting SAS P0410

Post by Ozark Lee »

As far as the SAS pump goes I would just delete it and soldier on. A radio shack diode and a couple of gobs of solder eliminate the problem forever. Search "SAS delete" in the repair database.

As far as the line to the oil trap goes, so long as you have a clean system and there is in fact a hose that connects the remainder of the pipe to the oil trap then you should be fine.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A 5 speed
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
Previous:
1999 V70XC - Nautic Blue - Totaled while parked.
1999 V70XC - RIP - Wrecked Parts Car.
1998 S70 T5
1996 850 N/A
1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
ncaapicks
Year and Model: S70GLT 1998

Post by ncaapicks »

Lee, thanks for the reply. I will have to consider the delete. My immediate objective is trying to figure out why the pump is not operating since putting everything back together. I'll check my connections under the shroud and want to check the relay.

Damn, I think I've got my relay issues resolved. Just found out I was looking in the wrong box.
rmmagow
Year and Model: V70 1998

Post by rmmagow »

I replaced my sas pump with a very cheap one found on ebay. The replacement went well and the 710 went away. If I remember correctly, the part was in the 35 dollar range for a new pump. If you've found the relay and want to test it using a shorting wire be real careful and wear gloves, the wire will get super hot, super fast. Use a good heavy piece of wire.
1998 V70 AWD 228K - Daily Driver
1985 Mercedes Benz 300D - 197K Off Road For Now Brakes Failed
1998 S70 135K - FOR SALE
2003 GMC Sonoma - 114K - POS
1958 Mercedes Benz 220S 66K Original and never to be restored.
2006 Saturn ION 5-Speed - 150K Son's weird little easy to fix car