IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2001 S60 ETM - Did I kill ETM or do other Damage?

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
whose2know
Year and Model: s60 2001
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
whose2know

2001 S60 ETM - Did I kill ETM or do other Damage?

Post by whose2know » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:51 pm

I'll take my "I'm an idiot" lumps. Scroll down to next paragraph if you don't care to know what got me to where I'm at now...otherwise, here's the backstory: In an attempt to resolve a emissions message, I was trying a few things...I replaced the spark plugs, I put lucas treatment in a tank of gas, and I got the CRC mass airflow sensor cleaner. I read posts about cleaning the MFS (all of which discussed a 5 sided torx screw) but mine was screwed on with philips screws. I pulled out the MFS and sprayed the cleaner on it and let it dry. I drove the car, and still emissions messages, so I read more posts about MFS and all mentioned the torx screws...so I second guessed myself and found a nearby part with four torx screws and thought I would open that to see if another sensor was inside...bad move. That's part of my ETM as I now know.

So I unscrewed the torx screws off one end of my ETM, and found that wasn't a good idea.
Image https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_B71S5z2My1ajI4TmJIZVRLLW8/view I ended up breaking the copper wires at the top. I re-soldered the wires back to the contacts on the black cap, and screwed it back on. However, the car idles very rough and is in limp mode now and is not really drive-able. HELP! Did I just destroy my ETM or is there anything I can do to resolve short of buying a rebuilt one from xemodex?

Here's a pic to the wires at the top that I soldered to the black cap contacts:
Image https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_B71S5z2My1anEwUFJoX0x0Rkk/view I believe the contacts at the bottom of the black cap are still making contact with the rest of the unit, but I didn't do any soldering of them.

I don't see an "ETM" light on my dash, and the messages I get now are "Engine System Service Required" and "Engine System Service Urgent" in addition to the "Emissions System Service Required" that was showing up before. Did I do damage to a part other than ETM? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

ajwsurfer
Year and Model: 2001 V70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ajwsurfer

Re: 2001 S60 ETM - Did I kill ETM or do other Damage?

Post by ajwsurfer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:27 pm