IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Volvo's ETM aproach Belgium

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
llinssen
Year and Model:
Been thanked: 0
llinssen

Volvo's ETM aproach Belgium

Post by llinssen » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:23 am

I have recently bought a C70 convertible, and yes also experiencing ETM trouble. I contacted GCR. I thought you might be interested in their reply etc, so please find below the first part of my correspondence...

+++++++
Mail 1
------
Dear madam sir,

Looking for the solution for a problem I am experiencing with my MY 1999 C70 convertible (the RPM is fluctuating between 800-1200 when ideling), I found various other owners that reported the same problem. Apperantly it has to do with the ETM.

I also found that in the US volvo has admitted that the ETM is not up to the standards that can be expected from this part, and that the warranty is extended to 10 years or 100K miles.
In the UK volvo also has decided to take measures.

Could you please tell me what your policy for the Netherlands and Belgium is?

Kind regards,

+++++++
Reply 1
-------
Dear Mr. Lissen,

Thank you for your email of 17 March and please excuse our delayed reply.
The backlog in email responding is partly due to the issue you are writing about since many people have read a lot about this on the internet and they all believe that their cars are affected. In some cases this may be true but mostly the reported problem can be related to something else and we count on your understanding for not being able to troubleshoot at this distance. We therefore recommend you to visit your authorised Volvo dealership and set up an appointment for examination of your Volvo with them. They are also better placed than ourselves to inform you of what is valid on your particular market.

Regarding the ETM issue, this topic is handled differently by different markets. As you say, Volvo Cars of North America have decided to take a very generous approach since the consequences of a malfunctioning ETM is in conflict with their legislation. It has to do with their very strict legal demands regarding exhaust emission. In other markets it is handled case by case and the vehicle's history is one part of the approach that the market in question will have. Some markets do not consider this to be a problem at all, it is looked upon as a normal wear and tear issue and the case handling will not differ from any other case handling.

In other words; Volvo Car Corporation does not dictate the handling of this matter. Neither do we set guidelines. According to Company Policy each market where Volvo Car Corporation is represented is acting on our behalf and it is their responsibility to administer customer issues and to resolve them in a fair and reasonable manner. Each market has been empowered with the authority to address situations such as these, basing their actions on the information available to them.

It goes without saying that we are sorry to learn that your Volvo is not performing as expected and can appreciate your wish to bring this matter to our attention.

Yours sincerely,
Dept 57130, SAA2
Volvo Car Corporation
SE-40531 G

llinssen
Year and Model:
Been thanked: 0
llinssen

And the new reply

Post by llinssen » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:53 am

Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for your new email. I fully understand your disappointment. In my response to your earlier email I tried to explain that Volvo Car Corporation does not set the guidelines in these matters. This is entirely up to the market in question.

Volvo Cars Gbelgium is, according to policy, responsible for all matters related to our products on the Belgian market and it is therefore not possible for us to intervene on behalf of an individual local Belgian customer. I am very sorry having to once again to disappoint you but there is absolutely nothing I can do to be of service to you in this issue.

Yours sincerely,

Dept 57130, SAA2
Volvo Car Corporation
SE-40531 G