Welcome to the world's #1 Volvo forum!

Volvo Fixes & Advice since 2001.

Login Register

Did ATF Drain and Fill on 2 P2 Volvo's today

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive P2 platform cars sold as model years 2001-2007 (North American market year designations).

2001 - 2007 V70
2001 - 2004 V70 XC (Cross Country)
2004 - 2007 XC70 (Cross Country)
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
2004 - 2007 V70 R

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5

Did ATF Drain and Fill on 2 P2 Volvo's today

Post by MadeInJapan »

My son got his '07 S60 in Feb with 107K miles on it. My wife's V70 has 167K miles on it. When her car had 80K miles, I did a full Flush with Mobil #3309 transmission fluid so I had been neglecting doing this again for some time. I have no idea if my son's car's fluid has ever been changed, but guessed that it probably had not been. With that in mind, he brought his car over today for an oil change- we have settled in on 5K mile changes with Mobil-1 - 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer (just like all of our Volvo's). That said, I knew that his tranny was due for some attention, so I had ordered a case of the Mobil #3309 ATF from an online supplier and had it in my garage. After the oil change, I took his skid plate off and proceeded to undo the 24 mm transmission drain plug and almost 3 quarts of very dark, almost black fluid drained out. The good news is that it did not smell burnt and he has had no transmission issues. I funneled the spent fluid into a jug and measured out exactly the same amount of new #3309 ATF into an identical jug and after tightening the plug back with a new aluminum crush washer (same as what goes on the oil pan nut), I funneled in the new/clean #3309 fluid through the dipstick tube. All done and off he went! I told him to come back next weekend and I'll do it again. I'd like to get at least another drain and fill in or at least use up all of the #3309 that I bought. His new IPD skid plate (redesigned) is easy to get off!! Since I had the hoses and containers already out after he left, I decided to pull my wife's V70 out of the garage and do a drain and fill with her car too. If I had enough ATF, I might have been tempted to flush hers again, but given the age of her car and the last time I flushed it being almost 90K miles ago, I decided it was just as well that I do a drain and fill with her car too. Same procedure- just that her skid plate is IPD's old style and the bolts in the rear gave me a few fits. All was off and I proceeded to drain and fill her transmission. About the same amount of fluid came out as with my son's car but the fluid was much cleaner, although still dark compared to the virgin fluid. I am thinking that instead of waiting for the 50K mile mark or so (ideal for continuous flushes), I'll get the fluid clean in all of our cars and just stick with a once a year drain and fill. I think doing this with half of the fluid (which is about what comes out) annually is enough to keep the transmission in good shape and is very economical to boot! Below is a picture of my set-up with the jugs I used. The fluid that came out of my wife's V70 is on the left and the jug with the same amount of fluid ready to be siphoned into her dipstick tube is on the right.
Tranny Drain.JPG
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99: V70s S70s,05 V70

Post by abscate »

MadeInJapan wrote:My son got his '07 S60 in Feb with 107K miles on it. My wife's V70 has 167K miles on it. When her car had 80K miles, I did a full Flush with Mobil #3309 transmission fluid so I had been neglecting doing this again for some time. I have no idea if my son's car's fluid has ever been changed, but guessed that it probably had not been. With that in mind, he brought his car over today for an oil change- we have settled in on 5K mile changes with Mobil-1 - 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer (just like all of our Volvo's). That said, I knew that his tranny was due for some attention, so I had ordered a case of the Mobil #3309 ATF from an online supplier and had it in my garage. After the oil change, I took his skid plate off and proceeded to undo the 24 mm transmission drain plug and almost 3 quarts of very dark, almost black fluid drained out. The good news is that it did not smell burnt and he has had no transmission issues. I funneled the spent fluid into a jug and measured out exactly the same amount of new #3309 ATF into an identical jug and after tightening the plug back with a new aluminum crush washer (same as what goes on the oil pan nut), I funneled in the new/clean #3309 fluid through the dipstick tube. All done and off he went! I told him to come back next weekend and I'll do it again. I'd like to get at least another drain and fill in or at least use up all of the #3309 that I bought. His new IPD skid plate (redesigned) is easy to get off!! Since I had the hoses and containers already out after he left, I decided to pull my wife's V70 out of the garage and do a drain and fill with her car too. If I had enough ATF, I might have been tempted to flush hers again, but given the age of her car and the last time I flushed it being almost 90K miles ago, I decided it was just as well that I do a drain and fill with her car too. Same procedure- just that her skid plate is IPD's old style and the bolts in the rear gave me a few fits. All was off and I proceeded to drain and fill her transmission. About the same amount of fluid came out as with my son's car but the fluid was much cleaner, although still dark compared to the virgin fluid. I am thinking that instead of waiting for the 50K mile mark or so (ideal for continuous flushes), I'll get the fluid clean in all of our cars and just stick with a once a year drain and fill. I think doing this with half of the fluid (which is about what comes out) annually is enough to keep the transmission in good shape and is very economical to boot! Below is a picture of my set-up with the jugs I used. The fluid that came out of my wife's V70 is on the left and the jug with the same amount of fluid ready to be siphoned into her dipstick tube is on the right.
Tranny Drain.JPG
Bravo Zulu. It's great to have a Forum to be able to cap off a good days work with a "got it done ' post !
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5

Post by MadeInJapan »

Thanks- yes, it does feel good but I'm sore this morning...that's what happens to a 56 year old body when it's not used to crouching and bending around car repairs. That said, the wife is wanting me to hook up a Japanese bidet that has been sitting for a couple of years now. I think I have the electrical and water lines sorted, but won't exactly know until I get into it- have been putting this off, I guess too long too. LOL
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99: V70s S70s,05 V70

Post by abscate »

At 55 I swore off driveway repairs in JAN, FEB, and MAR.

This year I did three brake jobs and one BMW coolant group overhaul in winter due to it being so mild.

I think 2014 was last roof job, though.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread