Server upgrade complete. (New hardware.) Please help if you have time by posting in the Maintenance is Complete thread about things that are broken. Thanks for your help!
IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

Ooops, I did it again! A 03 V70 T5 comes home.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70
United States of America

Re: Ooops, I did it again!!!! A 03 V70 T5 comes home.

Post by Botbasher » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:35 am

abscate wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:31 pm
Go back and get that third row seat. It will never sell without it.

That Barents Blue is sure Purdy
Sell... Sell what?!? This one is mine!!!

I'll grab it for you if you want it though. Was in pretty fair shape for an 02 that obviously saw kids!

K "Parts Monger" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??

Botbasher
United States of America

Re: Ooops, I did it again! A 03 V70 T5 comes home.

Post by Botbasher » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Well it's been an interesting couple of days working on this diamond in the rough!!

The car is in much better shape cosmetically. It's been cleaned and brought from it's state of neglect into a pretty respectable driver with some TLC and some great JY finds. It now has a nearly complete XC interior that was in great shape except for normal driver's seat wear.

The dash issues, hyroglyphics on the text window, no door chime, run away clock, no ODO, no trip, ABS lights, SRS lights,... The list goes on! I took a shot in the dark and grabbed the soldering iron after finding a micro tip for it. An hour later and a couple of check trips to the car for a progress update, the dash is 100%!! Except for the ODO, trip and ABS issues.

The remaining errors I found were the result of a completely failed BCM. Apparently the ODO runs through the BCM for its speed information. The confusing part was that the speedo worked fine, so the DIM gets ODO info from one place, but mileage from another!

I managed to fix the BCM errors by swapping in a BCM from the 02 XC70 that I stripped the interior from. I've since learned that this was an extremely lucky find as after 01, BCMs had the same part numbers but different internal programming for STC, DTSC and regular ABS. I have DTSC on mine so it was really a stroke of luck... But I'll take it!!

The only remaining issue is the transmission. I have an 06 valve body that I am modifying to install (B5 spring and wire extensions). The trans is strong but has shifting issues.

So if that finishes it, I'll have a pretty decent V70 T5 for under $1000 at this point.

I hope my luck holds out!

Cheers!!

K "fingers crossed" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:12 am

Botbasher wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:32 am
Either way, I will not be letting it get to the same point that I found it in!
Definitely not! :D

Botbasher
United States of America

Post by Botbasher » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:15 pm

USPS strikes again. I think they have a mandate that any package that weighs more than 3oz must be treated like a football.

My Valve Body showed up and the box looked like they played soccer with it. I opened it with some trepidation.

It looked good... After all it's a Valve Body, right? Everything looked good until I looked at it in a particular way and noticed that all the SL Solenoids didn't line up quite right!

Turned out the SLU linear solenoid took a pretty solid hit and was partially separated. I contacted the seller and he's going to send me a replacement but it looks like the swap is going to be delayed for a few while I wait for it to show.

Dang... Must have used up a little too much luck finding that fantastic XC donor!!

K "flatened" S
Attachments
tmp_2673-IMAG08141806269702.jpg
tmp_2673-IMAG08131534721780.jpg

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:59 am

So USPS turned a linear solenoid into a non-linear solenoid?

Botbasher
United States of America

Post by Botbasher » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:28 am

jimmy57 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:59 am
Well.... There's a interesting thought on that. I don't think they actually "damaged" it. Deformed maybe, but not damaged. Here's why.

The Seller is sending an exact replacement without issue (there are great sellers on eBay!!), So I figured I'd take a look and see just what the fuss is all about.

There are several tutorials on disassembly of these, so I grabbed a pair of my flush side cutters from my electronic kit and slowly peeled back the roll on the non-valve end. It unrolled easily and in a few minutes I had it apart.

I was surprised by what I found. The actual shuttle for the solenoid doesn't extend into the valve further than maybe 3/16th. There's a separate piston that does the work and the two meet at a rounded point. So where it was bent was actually between the joint and it was still capable of moving... Maybe not at 300hz it normally does, but it was still rattling back and forth. The actual work part of the solenoid was unharmed. So I straightened out all out. Gently rerolled the valve end of it and checked for accuracy. Perfectly straight. Proceed to clean it as many of the tutorials show and then rolled the far end back over. A gentle shake let's you know the actuator is free and moving that little bit.

Now.... I'm not using it since I have another coming, but if it was a ride or walk consideration, I'd have no issue reinstalling it and powering it up. They really are quite simple and I see exactly why they load up with particulates and fail. The only issue is their static adjustment and I have found several videos showing how to clone your original settings and another showing what the OEM (valve mfg) setting is which is where most all of them are set unless there's an issue from the build floor.

So although I was a little down about the delay, I was able to explore a little and gain a little more insight to these slush boxes and hopefully that will pay off in the future as I am looking to build a mid-engine street car and I am planning on a Volvo power plant as I can take the entire sub frame and bolt it into my frame.

Cheers!!

K "impatiently waiting" S

Botbasher
United States of America

Post by Botbasher » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:37 am

I figured while waiting for the valve to arrive I'd do a little bit of busy work on the T5.

I found a S60 in the yard with great seats that hasn't been messed with the other day, so during lunch I went down and grabbed the lower skins before someone wanted to see how well their knife cut!!

The color is a shade off, but I'll keep it for now and possibly get it dyed or just get a pad. You can't see it when you sit in it, so I'm not really worried. I'll keep the XC cover and see about getting it repaired (small 2" deep crack, but not torn through the backing) as I love the double stitching on them and it'll be nice to match the rest.

It only took about 30 minutes between both removing and installing them. The pad was in perfect shape (butt warmers still work!), so no additional repairs were required. Much easier than I thought it would be. There's a certain mysticism about interiors and I know my limits... hog rings isn't one of them though!!

Hopefully the valve arrives soon... in running out of tinkerish things to do on it and don't want to invest more until I know the situation on the trans. Still holding out hope on it... just being responsible. Although I could sell it now for a healthy profit even over what I have paid and put into it... but let's not go there just yet!!

K "tinkerer" S
Attachments
IMAG0831.jpg
After... Feels good on the bum!!
IMAG0830.jpg
Before.... Crack is right along the seam.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by abscate » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:03 am

Botbasher wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:18 am
abscate wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:14 pm
JRL wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:59 pm
Color blind?
That's grey
No Barents in 2003, only Nautic blue thru 2001

Darn night palette on IPad!!
I was wondering where you got that one, but Hey... who am I to judge!! ;)

Cheers!

K "colorblind" S

:D :D :D

Nice, Jimmy

Where did you find Green leather seats??

My father warned me to stop that or I would go blind - I told him

"Im over here, Dad"
"Its not your ECU, ECM, nor your computer"

1999 V70 T5 M56
2003 Beetle Conv M5
2002 Eurovan
2005 V70 NA M5
2006 BMW X3 E83
Air cooled VW WIP

A houseful of young ladies seats 7
Shepard Husky, Lab
Grey, ginger,black cats

Lots of boats

Botbasher
United States of America

Post by Botbasher » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:18 am

abscate wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:03 am

Where did you find Green leather seats??

My father warned me to stop that or I would go blind - I told him "Im over here, Dad"
LOL!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: You looking at your iPad on Night Colors again?

Yeah... they do look a bit peaked though, huh?

It was a very overcast day, so between the clouds and the blue/green of the 98 sitting right in front of them, I can see how that tinted them a bit.

I don't know my Volvo interior colors by heart yet, but the XC donor was a creamy light brown while the S60 donor had a darker tan interior. I'm sure there are official names for them, but this car is such a patchwork currently that I'm just going to get it done and then blend up a Cerakote color that matches good that I like. Thinking like a Desert Tan I've done for a couple of customers.

DSC_5525.JPG
Something like this Desert Tan!

That will match the leather of the XC pretty close and then I'll get what ever remains dyed to match.

K "kote" S

shiloh51933
Year and Model: 04 XC70/'98 V70XC
United States of America

Post by shiloh51933 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:18 am

For what you paid it's worth it in parts alone and the way the exterior looks it's worth investing some cheddar with the wrench time!!
If U Wanna Play U Gotta Pay!!

Return to “Volvo V70 & XC-70 (2001-2007), S60 (2001-2009)”