IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

Help with code UEM-003A

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
BRxc90
Year and Model: 2004 XC90
United States of America

Help with code UEM-003A

Post by BRxc90 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:17 pm

Hello,
I have a 2004 XC90 2.5T
The sunroof, map lights ,are not working.
I am getting the following codes :
uem-0038 general courtesy lighting
uem-0080 rain sensor
uem-003A extended X supply
(EXT_X)
I have tried several reset procedures,disconnect battery terminals ,touch together among at least 2 or 3 more,nothing has worked.
I am mainly trying to find out what is the extended x supply,I have searched a lot but haven't nailed it down.
I should also add that I have had the windshield replaced and also, I replaced the siren module.That code is now gone.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia

Re: Help with code UEM-003A

Post by precopster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:28 pm

The UEM and remote from another vehicle can be sourced and they will be paired and work just fine.

The only thing you'll need to do is carefully dig out the glass transponder off your old remote and transfer this to the new remote shell. For this purpose it's probably best to use a new aftermarket casing which you can glue back together using the old transponder chip. These transponders are in the shape of a glass capsule and are separate from the remote circuit board.

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2001 V70 T5, 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

BRxc90
United States of America

Post by BRxc90 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:20 pm

I'll keep an eye out for a new remote and uem.
My remote works fine,I don't know if other people with this problem,have their remotes still working

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8
United States of America

Post by ggleavitt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:44 am

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information UEM-003A:

Condition
The upper electronic module (UEM) supplies power to a number of functions in the car via Extended X-supply (EXT_X). These functions include the sun roof logic, mirror lamps in the sun visor, rain sensor, buttons for the headlining lighting and certain button lighting. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) UEM-003A is stored if the upper electronic module (UEM) registers too low a level for power supply Extended X-supply (EXT_X). Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) UEM-003A can be diagnosed in ignition positions I or II.

Substitute value
Sun roof, mirror lamps in the sun visor, buttons for the headlining lighting and certain button lighting are switched off.

Possible source
The power supply to the sun roof, mirror lamps in the sun visor, rain sensor, buttons for the headlining lighting and certain button lighting functions is short-circuited to ground.

Fault symptom
The power sun roof does not operate
The interior lighting does not operate
No rain sensor function

Troubleshooting
Signal too low, checking for a short-circuit
-Ignition off.
If all the functions that are supplied with power from the upper electronic module (UEM) via Extended X-supply (EXT_X) are not working (i.e. sun roof logic, mirror lamps in the sun visor, rain sensor or interior lighting), it can be assumed that either the cable between the upper electronic module (UEM) and the junction point 53/505 is short-circuited to ground or the wiring from the junction point to each component is short-circuited to ground.
First check the power supply cable between the upper electronic module (UEM) and each component. If the cable is short-circuited to ground, 0 Ω will be measured.
For mirror lamps in the sun visor, check the cable between the mirror lamp connector terminal #1 and the connector for the upper electronic module (UEM) terminal #A8. Check for a short-circuit to ground.
For sun roof and interior lighting, take readings on the cable between the connector for roof lamps terminal #A2 (and the sun roof module) and the connector for the upper electronic module (UEM) #A8. Check for a short-circuit to ground.
For rain sensor, take readings on the cable between the rain sensor connector terminal #A3 and the connector for the upper electronic module (UEM) terminal #A8. Check for a short-circuit to ground.
Note! Also check that the cable to the rain sensor is not trapped under the foot of the rear view mirror. The cable can become detached from connector 54/16 and examined separately.
If all the readings result in a short-circuit to ground, it can be assumed that the fault is between the upper electronic module (UEM) #A8 and junction point 53/505.
Remedy as necessary.

Wiring diagram may be found here- http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/

Good luck !

BRxc90
United States of America

Post by BRxc90 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:02 pm

WOW!!now that's what I call an answer.
I will do my best to trouble shoot,using Your directions.
Thank You

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia

Post by precopster » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:20 pm

When the windscreen guy did his thing what's the bet he trapped a wire under the UEM if/when he removed it for access to the seal.

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2001 V70 T5, 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

Return to “Volvo XC90 Forum”