IPD sale Volvo Parts

One bottle of Toyota T-IV in a transmission with original fluid

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
Klech
Year and Model: 03 s60
United States of America

One bottle of Toyota T-IV in a transmission with original fluid

Post by Klech » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:55 am

Bare with me i am young and dumb, however I have searched the forums but I have not found one yet that has my specific question. I know that you can use T-IV on the aws 55 50 in my volvo s60 03 2.4t and that it meets mobil 3309, but if I'm only draining a bottles worth of what I believe is the original transmission fluid from the car, and only adding in 1 bottle of new Toyota T-IV of the same amount I drained, would that cause problems when mixing it with the original fluid? My car has 96,000 miles and I was about to do 1 bottle of new T-IV every 1000 miles since I don't believe it has ever been changed before but then I came across this forum that I believe is saying don't mix 3309 with dex. This is the forums url - http://matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/vie ... 1&start=20

Thank you for whoever replis to this and forgive me, I thought I was good until I read this forum.

Cookie-the-Swede
Year and Model: 2003 S60 2.5T AWD
United States of America

Re: One bottle of Toyota T-IV in a transmission with original fluid

Post by Cookie-the-Swede » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 am

It sounds fine to me. The Toyota fluid meets the "3309 spec" right? Replacing one or two quarts at a time is the preferred method to use with Volvo transmissions. Never do an all-at-once "full flush" with an old transmission.
I gradually renewed my fluid by doing two quarts at a time. It took 12 qts to purge out the old fluid.

Klech
United States of America

Post by Klech » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:54 am

Yeah ive read alot that it's the same spec as 3309. And that's what I was gonna do but the article I included in my post threw me off so I'm still kinda in the air about the whole thing.

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America

Post by Georgeandkira » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:07 am

I love these SPECIFIC threads. The subject has been around so long I'm surprised nobody has crafted the responses into a chart.
Honestly, the errors mentioned-then the corrections-then the unexplained omissions make these threads hard to read.

I maintained a 2002 Volvo V70 and a 2002 Saab 9-5 Linear. Both had the AW55-50, as does my current '07 V70, the '05 9-5 Aero and another vehicle which slips my mind at the moment.

I did drain & fills using
Mobil3309: A store in VA ordered a case by mistake
Wolf's Head Super Universal Synthetic Transmission Fluid: Ships FREE from the Amaliestore.com. I've used 4 cases over the years
Toyota Type IV (aka T-IV): I bought 2 cases from my local Toyota dealership
Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc LV. Don't overlook the LV in that product's name: I bought 14 gallons of the stuff during an AutoZone's 1/2 price sale.
Aisin Type IV: I bought 4 quarts from eEuroparts to round out what I had.
All in all, about 34 drain & fills in these units. I used my stash in other vehicles too.

The only pump out I ever did was on my '99 V70. It had a 4 speed and called for good old fashioned Dex/Merc-the cheapest stuff on the store's rack. That original fluid was black. Even then Volvo said their fluid was "lifetime". What a criminal farce that "lifetime fluid" claim is. They even told a friend in Sweden it was lifetime.

I give you all this history to show you how dedicated and sincere I am, really.
Actually, I have one last drain & fill for my AW55-50 waiting in the basement.
I also have my very first Mazda FZ drain & fill waiting for my sister's car.

NEVER did I have a hiccough, hard shift, slow shift....nothing bad ever. .....just improved shifting.
A wise man said, "They didn't build these things with filthy fluid." Inarguable.
Transmissions' hardware is smaller now-a-days. While I don't believe the sealing properties of accumulated crud are entirely in the rear view mirror, I also don't believe they were ever as big a deal in our units.

Your plan is just fine.
Were it my car with 96,000 miles I'd buy 4 quarts of any of the fluids listed above, warm the car up, check the level just to make sure it wasn't way off, drive it up on ramps (make the right side -passenger side No. America- higher, unscrew the drain plug (24mm) and let the dirt flow out of the sump. Approximately half the fluid drains.
If you are hardware challenged, PM me and I'll send you a replacement 18mm washer.

Assuming your car was at the "FULL" mark you can measure what drained and refill with that same amount.
If your vehicle was over/under filled, I'd recommend refilling with 3 quarts and checking the level several times, adding as needed.

This brings up another question: Are you proficient at reading the dipstick? Many aren't. Many can't even find the dipstick.

Report back by Monday. I do hope you have a sense of humor (or a pattern of mental illness which comports with mine). Kira

ps, I typed this on an old Casio Databank wristwatch with a phone style keypad. I hope you appreciate the effort. G&K

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:40 am

Regarding reading the dipstick:
Run the car so that it is hot, this takes a bit longer than the engine temperature at speeds that doesn't engage lockup.
Stand it on a level surface and run through the gears a few seconds each.
Leave it running in park and then check the hot level on the dipstick with the engine running.

Klech
United States of America

Post by Klech » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Georgeandkira wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:07 am
I love these SPECIFIC threads. The subject has been around so long I'm surprised nobody has crafted the responses into a chart.
Honestly, the errors mentioned-then the corrections-then the unexplained omissions make these threads hard to read.

I maintained a 2002 Volvo V70 and a 2002 Saab 9-5 Linear. Both had the AW55-50, as does my current '07 V70, the '05 9-5 Aero and another vehicle which slips my mind at the moment.

I did drain & fills using
Mobil3309: A store in VA ordered a case by mistake
Wolf's Head Super Universal Synthetic Transmission Fluid: Ships FREE from the Amaliestore.com. I've used 4 cases over the years
Toyota Type IV (aka T-IV): I bought 2 cases from my local Toyota dealership
Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc LV. Don't overlook the LV in that product's name: I bought 14 gallons of the stuff during an AutoZone's 1/2 price sale.
Aisin Type IV: I bought 4 quarts from eEuroparts to round out what I had.
All in all, about 34 drain & fills in these units. I used my stash in other vehicles too.

The only pump out I ever did was on my '99 V70. It had a 4 speed and called for good old fashioned Dex/Merc-the cheapest stuff on the store's rack. That original fluid was black. Even then Volvo said their fluid was "lifetime". What a criminal farce that "lifetime fluid" claim is. They even told a friend in Sweden it was lifetime.

I give you all this history to show you how dedicated and sincere I am, really.
Actually, I have one last drain & fill for my AW55-50 waiting in the basement.
I also have my very first Mazda FZ drain & fill waiting for my sister's car.

NEVER did I have a hiccough, hard shift, slow shift....nothing bad ever. .....just improved shifting.
A wise man said, "They didn't build these things with filthy fluid." Inarguable.
Transmissions' hardware is smaller now-a-days. While I don't believe the sealing properties of accumulated crud are entirely in the rear view mirror, I also don't believe they were ever as big a deal in our units.

Your plan is just fine.
Were it my car with 96,000 miles I'd buy 4 quarts of any of the fluids listed above, warm the car up, check the level just to make sure it wasn't way off, drive it up on ramps (make the right side -passenger side No. America- higher, unscrew the drain plug (24mm) and let the dirt flow out of the sump. Approximately half the fluid drains.
If you are hardware challenged, PM me and I'll send you a replacement 18mm washer.

Assuming your car was at the "FULL" mark you can measure what drained and refill with that same amount.
If your vehicle was over/under filled, I'd recommend refilling with 3 quarts and checking the level several times, adding as needed.

This brings up another question: Are you proficient at reading the dipstick? Many aren't. Many can't even find the dipstick.

Report back by Monday. I do hope you have a sense of humor (or a pattern of mental illness which comports with mine). Kira

ps, I typed this on an old Casio Databank wristwatch with a phone style keypad. I hope you appreciate the effort. G&K
hey thank you so much for the reply. I don't think I've ever had such a great reply on any forum Ive ever been on. And yeah I know where the dipstick is, and Im pretty sure I'm suposed to check it when its warm so hopefully that's correct. Again thank you for your help and your effort. I don't think I've seen that watch before but it sounds cool.

IdahoBob
Year and Model: XC70 02, 04 & 06
United States of America

Post by IdahoBob » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:46 pm

one of the threads on the subject had a guy who said he called Mobil and spoke to one of their engineers. The engineer told him that Mobil bottles the Toyota fluid. I've ordered the 3309 by the case before, pumping out & pouring in 2 quarts at a time. That works fine. After reading that Toyota is/may be the same as 3309 I bought the Toyota stuff at the local dealer this last time (about $1 less/quart) and used that. It's the same color as the 3309, and the trans runs better with clean juice, so maybe it's the real stuff. Note that the amount of liquid between low and full on that trans dipstick is 2/10 of a liter. My daughter recently bought a clean 04 xc70. It did some funny shifting. I pulled the trans dipstick, and found it a quart overfilled. Pumped out 3 quarts, poured in 2, and the car shifts just fine now. Moral of the story: don't overfill the trans.

Idaho Bob
67, 71, 85, 98 wagons (sold)
78 coupe (gave to mechanic, thanks!)
02 (X2), 04 (X2) & 06 XC70's
before that: 67 Sunbeam, several pre-68 VW's, '41 Buick, '42 Ford Jeep, and some boring stuff

93SCMax
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5
United States of America

Post by 93SCMax » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:49 am

Georgeandkira wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:07 am
Even then Volvo said their fluid was "lifetime". What a criminal farce that "lifetime fluid" claim is. They even told a friend in Sweden it was lifetime.
Great response!

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I wanted to comment on the "lifetime fluid" claim. I have a 5 sp V70 so I am not impacted by the Volvo lifetime fluid claim, but other car manufacturers are making the same claim. I own a 2007 Lexus GS350 (automatic). Lexus also claims lifetime transmission fluid for the American market, but not for other parts of the world. The transmission is definitely a weak spot for the car...they will fail if you don't change the fluid. I had mine flushed by the dealer @ 100k and discussed this with the certified technician. He said the "lifetime trans fluid" for our market was strictly to lower the cost of ownership during the warranty period. Lexus loves to claim (and show) lower cost of ownership, especially when compared to BMW and Mercedes, their main competitors. Volvo may have gone that way for the same reason. A transmission flush at the dealer can quickly add up to quite a few hundred dollars.

Ironic thing is, for the Canadian and European markets, Lexus has a transmission fluid change in their maintenance schedule.

One thing is for certain, no fluid is lifetime unless you consider lifetime to be the warranty period. I do not. I concur that the "lifetime fluid" claim is a criminal farce.

Carry on with the transmission "drain and fills" or a "flush" (dedicated machine), or be prepared to replace the transmission down the road.

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:04 am

Volvo claims lifetime fluid for the five speeds as well. At least here. Saab on the other hand used the same gearbox the same years and had a 120k km flush as planned service.

You could also argue that lifetime fluid is technically correct. It's only a question of how long you want the lifetime of the gearbox to be.

QUARKS40
Year and Model: 2010 XC60
United States of America

Post by QUARKS40 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:16 am

Lifetime fluid is a farce. Also, I am unsure why you would only want to replace 1 - 4 qts of fluid at a time. There is absolutely no harm in giving the system a full flush. My S40 has the same transmission - different valve body, but same transmission - and I do full flushes on this car every 50K miles. That involves 12 qts of fluid. With 200K on the transmission, and no shifting issues (not to mention my performance upgrades - see my sig) I'd say mine is doing pretty well. The detail that you need to be mindful of is to not overfill or underfill the transmission. The lines on the dipstick - the range from min to max is 200 ml. Each hashmark is 50 ml
The procedure listed above for measuring the fluid level - hot, running and in park is correct. There should also be marks for cold, to get you in the ball park.
You will want to reset the transmission adaptation after you flush the transmission, and you'll be glad you did.
EDIT: no external machine required to perform a flush. You simply disconnect the line on the the return side of the transmission cooler, attach a hose to that pipe and run it into a drain pan. You'll remove 4 qts or so of fluid at a time. The first 8 qts are flush fluid. The Toyota T-IV fluid is fine. After the last flush add 3 qts of fluid and start the car and check your level. Add 50 ML of fluid at a time until you are half way up to the full mark on the dipstick then take the car for a drive and get it hot. After it's hot, check your fluid level and add fluid until you are full, being careful not to over fill.

2010 XC60 - P*, 3 Spoke steering wheel retro, Gearshift retro.
2001 S40 - 14T, BBTB, turbo back stainless DP, Upsolute, KW, 15mm rear sway, 17" Konig wheels, Custom Arctic Silver/Sonic Blue pearl paint, custom interior

Return to “Volvo V70 & XC-70 2001-2007
S60 2001-2009”