Amazon Black Friday deals
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

07 XC70: Need help identifying/replacing side bulbs Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Durenol
Year and Model: Volvo 2007

07 XC70: Need help identifying/replacing side bulbs

Post by Durenol »

I'm having trouble with some bulbs and I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

1) On the front light clusters, there's an amber side/corner light. On my passenger's side it lights up whenever my headlight switch is in 'city' or 'on', but the one on my driver's side never lights up at all. My owner's manual seems to list these as "side marker light" but the directions for replacing them doesn't make sense as it lists a wire way off in a slot that I don't have or can't see. The manual also says that these would be "W5W" type bulbs but when I search online I'm having trouble finding anything with that code.

2) On the rear light clusters, in line with the backup bulb but wrapped around the side, there's a small row of what appear to be 4 LEDs. On my driver's side these light up red, but on my passenger's side they don't light up at all. Opening the back panels, I cannot for the life of me see any way to get to them as they appear to be behind solid sheet metal. Confusingly, the manual does not acknowledge this light when describing the back light cluster, but does make vague mention of "rear side marker light" in the tech specs in the back of the book.... however it says that that would be an R10W which appears to be a normal round incandescent bulb and not a row of LEDs.

Does anyone know what's going on here and what I'm supposed to do?
Attachments
front.jpg
front.jpg (30.75 KiB) Viewed 992 times
rear.jpg
rear.jpg (27.48 KiB) Viewed 992 times
Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T

Re: 07 XC70: Need help identifying/replacing side bulbs

Post by Rattnalle »

W5W is Wedge 5 Watts. Or a T10 wedge if that's easier to find.

The led is a unit of its own and isn't supposed to need replacing. You need to remove the rear light assembly to get to it i think. Two bolts from inside.
Durenol

Post by Durenol »

Erm, ok. Those phrases sorta help but I'm still getting a lot of noise when I search on Amazon. Are there other compatible part numbers I can cross reference? Are there any good websites or videos showing how you even get to that bulb on this car? I honestly don't remember if that bulb ever lit up or not, were there versions that didn't have a bulb in this location?

For the LEDs, if I were to take the cluster out, can I replace the LED assembly separately or do I need to buy another whole rear light cluster?
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ORIGINAL-halog ... B003ANDH9U

Yes the led is a separate circuit board that can be replaced.
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle »

Someone had better confirm the bulb though since mine is pre face-lift but the linked one is a w5w.
Durenol

Post by Durenol »

Oh perfect, thank you. I always forget to search for "Osram" when dealing with bulbs for my car since they're otherwise not a big name here. Would you suggest an original Osram replacement over a Philips or Sylvania or something?

Do you happen to know if the LED board has a part number or anything? Dealers don't really know what I'm talking about and the terms 'volvo rear led' are so generic it's impossible to search for.
Durenol

Post by Durenol »

Rattnalle wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:04 pm W5W is Wedge 5 Watts. Or a T10 wedge if that's easier to find.

The led is a unit of its own and isn't supposed to need replacing. You need to remove the rear light assembly to get to it i think. Two bolts from inside.
OK, so I just bought some Osram W5Ws and they work fine (pain in the ass to get to the socket though, had to remove the air box). Thanks.

I'm still wondering if that rear LED has a part number I can search for.
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

This is how I replace the bulbs (may be different that yours) on a 2003 which has however a different headlight assembly www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq0V_anGtUw
Durenol

Post by Durenol »

oragex wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:09 amThis is how I replace the bulbs
Yeah, my car is much tighter in there and I had to take out the whole airbox before I could even see or touch the socket for the side bulb. Not a hard procedure just time consuming.
Durenol

Re: 07 XC70: Need help identifying/replacing side bulbs  Topic is solved

Post by Durenol »

So for anyone who finds this thread in the future, those LED assemblies are referred to with various names such as "diode bridge", "rectifier bridge" or "tail light LED". Part#s are
Right side: 8663867
Left side: 30674783
As of summer 2018 they go for about $50-75 per side, and you have to disassemble half the back of the car to get to them.