IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2001 V70 Xc Car locks itself. Wiring or Module? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

daughtersmechanic
Year and Model: 2001 V70 XC
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
daughtersmechanic

2001 V70 Xc Car locks itself. Wiring or Module?

Post by daughtersmechanic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:25 pm

Daughter's 2001 XC70 (which I have begun calling The Beast) will occasionally lock her out of its own volition. No amount of key-twisting will get it to respond, and there is no fob. I took the driver's side door panel off, hoping to find a loose or broken wire. What I found were two pairs of wires, each electric-taped together with a single wire coming out and completing the journey to the plug.
DoorWiresWithArrows.PNG
It looks like the Green wire is spliced on to the Purple/White wire, which goes to the plug. The other pair is Blue and Blue/White. Can anyone tell me if that is how this is supposed to look? I am, of course, looking for a cheap & easy fix; not looking forward to tracking down a used or rebuilt door module, but also not wanting to unwrap a factory connection if I don't have to.

I'm open to any suggestions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2001 XC70, The Beast, 222K

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
United States of America
MoVolvos

Re: Car locks itself. Wiring or Module?

Post by MoVolvos » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:29 pm

-
I would remove the electrical tape first to see if there is a good connection. If it is only intermittent the splice maybe OK just not connecting well.

Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:02 am

I’m guessing some spliced in either a remote start or a fob into the factory system. You need to find a wiring diagram to proceed And cut that junk out. Based on the wiring workmanship, the lock Issues aren’t surprising

Be careful what you are doing, it’s easy to brick a 1999- on Volvo
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
daughtersmechanic

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

daughtersmechanic
United States of America
daughtersmechanic

Post by daughtersmechanic » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:04 am

abscate wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:02 am
I’m guessing some spliced in either a remote start or a fob into the factory system. You need to find a wiring diagram to proceed And cut that junk out. Based on the wiring workmanship, the lock Issues aren’t surprising
Of course! I knew that couldn't have been factory standard, but had no clue what it might be. Next chance I get, I'm going hunting for a 3rd-party module with a green and a blue wire coming out of it (among others, I'm sure). Tracked down the wiring diagrams: I am not an electrical engineer, and these things make my head hurt, but the Blue/White & Violet/White wires appear to signal Unlock and Lock, respectively, making your guess that much more likely to be correct.

MoVolvos, you are much more courageous than I am! It may come down to merely disconnecting those wires, but I'm pretty cautious with automotive electronics.

Thank you both, for your input!

daughtersmechanic
United States of America
daughtersmechanic

Post by daughtersmechanic » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:57 pm

So, I took a look under the dash, Didn't find any remote start or key fob modules, but I did find another pair of wires running up to the steering column. They were attached to a very thin wire that was wrapped, many times, around the ignition switch and held in place with electrical tape. I removed them, and the two wires attached to the door lock wires mentioned previously. Whoever installed them really loved their electrical tape and zip ties! While doing so, I noticed that there seemed to be several wires in the bundle running under the steering column that were wrapped with electrical tape. That does worry me.

Unfortunately, things are still not normal. The key will not lock or unlock the drivers door, and the door lock button on the driver's armrest doesn't function either. All the other buttons on the panel work, except for the right rear window. Also, when I push the lock pin on the driver's door, there is a click( well, more of a solenoid chunk sound), then the pin pops back up with another chunk, then back down, and all doors lock.

Am I looking at a new Drivers Door Module now, or is there another possibility of a crossed wire somewhere?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:14 am

That action, locking followed by unlocking is normal function for the Volvo locking system if it detects a door ajar. It could just be one of the lock signals isn’t getting to the lock control module

I though the driver door key opens the driver door mechanically, so if that isn’t working, you need to open up the door card and either replace or repair the door module. Junkyard probably best , They don’t fail often. I don’t think they’d need programming.
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
daughtersmechanic

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

daughtersmechanic
United States of America
daughtersmechanic

Post by daughtersmechanic » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:33 am

OK, then that symptom is probably a result of my testing-- I opened the rear door just in case The Beast decided to lock me out. Will test the mechanical action after work today. I'm guessing that the inoperative buttons on the door panel still point to the DDM. It's been a long time since I rummaged through a junkyard. Gonna need to find where they are these days. Anyone have a favorite in the Mpls-St.Paul area?

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
United States of America
MoVolvos

Post by MoVolvos » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:16 pm

daughtersmechanic wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:33 am
Will test the mechanical action after work today. I'm guessing that the inoperative buttons on the door panel still point to the DDM.
I think you should back up a little. Remove one at a time each splice and take a look at the connection. Nothing too hard at all. Solder if you feel the wires are not bound together well.

Let's say someone was all bandage up here and there all over the body from an accident. The person develops a fever and it's an infection according to the blood test. The prudent thing to do is check all the bandages first for infection instead of looking at the major organs. Poor analogy perhaps but your test results from something inoperative can't point to anything unless you check the obvious first.
These users thanked the author MoVolvos for the post:
daughtersmechanic

Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 06 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Post by - Pete - » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:59 pm

daughtersmechanic wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:33 am
It's been a long time since I rummaged through a junkyard. Gonna need to find where they are these days. Anyone have a favorite in the Mpls-St.Paul area?

I have tried many of the scrapyards around here & have come up with almost nothing for P2 stuff. That being said, there is a place in Glencoe that advertises on CL & typically has a couple cars you can call & ask about.

I've had the best experiences with Strandberg Auto in Centuria WI. It's really not that far of a drive, and a nice one at that, whether you go through Stillwater, Osceola or Taylors Falls. Compile your list (and a list of parts you'll need in the future ie blower motors etc...) and give them a call ahead of time. If you are buying a lot of stuff they usually knock a few bucks off. I usually ask to talk to Kevin, but I've never had a bad experience with any of their other staff.

https://www.strandbergauto.com/
These users thanked the author - Pete - for the post:
daughtersmechanic

2001 V70XC 135k
2004 V70 AWD 130k
2004 XC70 278k
2006 XC70 150k

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
Has thanked: 0
chrism

Post by chrism » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:21 am

If your old DDM has a little white sticker with two or three numbers on it then you want to match those numbers to the sticker on the replacement DDM. I replaced mine a couple years ago with a junkyard part and as I recall I was able to match two of the three numbers. I also made sure the replacement came from the same year car. End result - it worked.