IPD sale Volvo Parts

DIY: 2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T: ATF, Angle Gear, AOC/RDiff Fluid

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
United States of America

Volvo Repair Database DIY: 2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T: ATF, Angle Gear, AOC/RDiff Fluid

Post by cn90 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:19 pm

DIY: 2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T at 82K: ATF, Angle Gear, AOC, and Rear Diff Fluid Change

My newly acquired 2005 XC90 2.5T with 82K miles, it is the usual story: P.O. owns it until now, skipping a few services because of dealer service costs. Now it is my job to bring it up-to-date…

Today is July the 4th, so I went all out war on all fluids replacement…lol!

PARTS/TOOLS

- ATF is Mobil 3309, case of 12 for ~ $70 on Amazon

- I have been using Redline 75W90 for a long time in my BMW Rear Diff without any issues. It is a very good fluid. This is why I use this in the XC90 Angle Gear (which is basically similar to a diff) and Rear Diff.

- Angle Gear: I removed about 600 mL, you can use Volvo oil (see chart), I used Redline 75W90 oil.

- AOC system: I removed about 500 mL, new PN for oil is 31325136, Volvo sells this for $18/L.

- Rear Diff: I removed about 650 mL, you can use Volvo oil (see chart), I used Redline 75W90 oil.

- Trans Cooler Green Clips: 9485149 ($7/each), qty = 2. These clips break often during removal, so best is to replace them before you get stranded!

- Trans Cooler O-rings: 988840 ($4/each), qty = 4.

- The AOC Filter PN 30787687 ($20): no need to drop exhaust/driveshaft for this job: but your best bet is to buy or make a small ratcheting wrench with 4-mm hex head that can fit in that tight space (see photo). The space is about 32mm, yes it is tight! All stores were closed and I didn’t know where to buy the ratcheting wrench with 4-mm hex head, therefore I improvised with drift + hammer, worked well, read on.

- 24-mm wrench

- 13-mm socket with swivel, Iron Pipe for added leverage

- Long Funnel ($4 at local autoparts store)

- The Oil Suction Gun is fine for filling up fluids but it is not very good at sucking old fluid out. So I used a 60-cc syringe and the stiff Volvo vacuum line I have lying round the garage. It is slow with the syringe but for something I do once every 8-10 years, this is fine. You can also use oil evacuation tool (Pella etc.).

- I re-used all crush washers, just make sure they go back in the same orientation. The little indentation (created by tightening the bolt) on the washer faces the bolt.

- All 3 systems (Angle Gear, AOC, Rear Diff) do NOT have drain plugs. They only have fill plugs (what a dumb design!). All are 13-mm bolts. Do one system at a time to avoid mixing up fluids!

XC90-Fluids-01.JPG
XC90-Fluids-02.JPG
XC90-Fluids-03.JPG
XC90-Fluids-04.JPG

PROCEDURE

- Cleanliness is crucial, so clean the chassis a day before with water.

- You will need newspaper, cardboard to absorb spilled fluids.

- It is easy to get mixed up, so do one system at a time, paying attention to what fluid being pumped in!!!

- When wiping ATF dipstick, use clean paper towel, and whatever you do, do NOT introduce dirt/lint into the Auto Trans!

ATF Fluid change

1. All 4 wheels on wood ramps on level surface. Apply Parking Brake, Chock wheels if you can.
XC90-Fluids-05.JPG

2. Study the ATF flow, basically AT ---> LOWER line ---> Through Cooler ---> UPPER Line ---> Another Cooler in Front ---> Back to AT.
Some people flush from the UPPER Radiator Port, I find it easier to flush from the disconnected LOWER Cooler Hose.
XC90-Fluids-06.JPG
XC90-Fluids-06.JPG (71.62 KiB) Viewed 15501 times

3. Drain ATF (24-mm wrench), clean the drain bolts, then tighten it snug, no need to over-tightening it.
XC90-Fluids-07.JPG

4. Remove Air Duct (8-mm bolts). The dipstick is hidden directly below the area as shown, it is held down by a metal clip, simply slide the clip out a bit to remove the dipstick. To make it easier, move the LOWER radiator hose to the left (I use a piece of paper towel as a cushion to protect the hose from the plastic clip).
You will see a narrow opening where you can slide the long funnel down to insert into the dipstick housing to fill with ATF.

XC90-Fluids-08.JPG
XC90-Fluids-09.JPG

5. The LOWER Cooler line is shown: to d/c from Radiator, simply squeeze on the clips, rotate the line a bit to undo the bond, then slide it out.
- For the old Green Clips, use a pair of pliers to cut it off, then slide new clip in. The O-rings: use small flat screwdriver to remove old O-rings, then install new O-rings. Wet the O-rings with a bit of ATF before insertion.
- To drain, I simply place the disconnected LOWER cooler line into a Funnel with an Oil Pan underneath to catch old fluid. Note the dark ATF being drained.
XC90-Fluids-10.JPG
XC90-Fluids-11.JPG

6. The procedure is well-established in forum but here you go:
- After the ATF is drained, re-install the 24-mm drain bolt. Firmly snug it, don’t over-tighten it.
- Add fresh ATF 2-3 qts each time, start engine and run until bubbles comes out of the disconnected LOWER cooler line.
- I worked outside, so avoid area under trees, you don’t want any debris, however small, in the trans! I used Aluminum foil to cover the funnel when not in use. The bottom line is: remove the Aluminum foil only to add fluid, then cover it immediately. A small leaf or some flies/bugs can cause problem for the trans!
- Save 4qts for FINAL Fill! During Final Fill: re-install the cooler lines with new Green clips, O-rings. Then add about 3.5 qts of ATF.
- Run engine in P, R, D for about 15 seconds each time, put it back in Park. Wait for engine to warm up, check ATF dipstick with engine running. I didn’t have time to warm engine so I checked ATF dipstick with engine running, it was luke warm engine (after 1 minute running), and with 3.5qts, it is between Min and Max, good enough for me.

Angle Gear Fluid

1. My Angle Gear needs a reseal job, but the leak is minor, only slightly wet around the casing, no oil on garage floor, so I skip the resealing job for later.

2. I used 13-mm socket + swivel +ratchet + Iron Pipe. Old fluid was dark.
XC90-Fluids-12.JPG
XC90-Fluids-13.JPG
XC90-Fluids-14.JPG

AOC Filter

1. The Filter is a challenge because I don’t have the 4-mm ratcheting tool. Do a google search on “4-mm ratcheting tool”, and you should find something that fits in that tight space.

2. I improvised and used a drift + hammer to work the 4-mm hex bolts loose. Hit the bolt in such a way that makes it go counter-clockwise. Mark with Sharpie so you know it has turned! Then use long needle-nose pliers to undo the bolts.
XC90-Fluids-15.JPG

3. Note the old AOC filter with 82K: it is dark, time to be replaced. Since I didn’t have the “4-mm ratcheting tool”, I had to re-use the old plate b/c the new plate design does not allow me to use the long needle-nose pliers to tighten the bolts.
- To remove old AOC Filter: angle it UPWARD to remove it. This is the only way to get it out.
- I simply transfer the new O-ring to the old plate.
- To start the upper bolt in such a tight space, wrap some dental floss in such a way that when you pull on the dental floss, the bolt is tightened! A little trick but works well…
XC90-Fluids-16.JPG

AOC Fluid and Rear Diff Fluid

1. Be careful because these 2 fill plugs are right next to each other! The Haldex bolt to the front and Rear Diff bolt to the rear. The Haldex bolt sits a bit higher than Rear Diff bolt. See photo…

2. Do one bolt at a time to avoid mixing up fluids!

3. Sucking fluid out is slow, adding fluid is also slow because of the syringe setup I have…

Clean all oil spills from the car, this way you know if there is a new leak later. Go for a test drive.

Anyway I got it all done with no special tools…That is all boys and girls!

XC90-Fluids-17.JPG
Last edited by cn90 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

cn90
United States of America

Re: DIY: 2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T: ATF, Angle Gear, AOC/RDiff Fl

Post by cn90 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:41 pm

I forgot to mention that some people used the I.D. 1/4" soft hose and during insertion for suction, the hose may be damaged by the internal gear ---> lost inside the Angle Gear, AOC or Rear Diff.

This is why I used the stiff Volvo Vacuum hose (same as the stiff hose used for SAS or cruise control system) together with the 60-cc syringe, this combination worked perfect.

PS: I think I found the solution for the difficult AOC Filter bolts. A 4-mm hex bit that fits a 1/4-inch ratcheting tool, see photo. Not that I need it now (I already did my AOC Filter) but this is for future readers...
AOCTool.JPG
AOCTool.JPG (31.31 KiB) Viewed 15496 times
---------

I went to the basement and just found drill bits set I bought years ago, the set with different bits (Phillips, Torx, Hex etc.). I already have the 1/4-inch ratcheting wrench and just found out the 5/32-inch hex bit fits the 4-mm bolts on the AOC filter perfectly! I wished I found this drill bits set yesterday, it'd have made my life easier!!!

--------

Other thoughts: what is the consensus here about change interval such as "___K miles" for the above fluids (ATF, Angle Gear, AOC, Rear Diff)? Just curious...

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

cn90
United States of America

Post by cn90 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Also, special thanks to jimmy57 for his expertise/guidance! Could not do this without his advice...

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

bugeye
Year and Model: S80 2007, XC70 2004
United States of America

Post by bugeye » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:29 am

Very nice presentation with excellent pictures. We have a '04 XC70 (99k miles) and a '07 S80 (72k miles). I have changed the three fluids on both cars, but did not change the AOC filter. My fluids were dark with the AOC fluid having a yellow tinge in the clear withdraw tubing. If you have the AOC filter, could you please cut it apart to view possible deposits? thanks.

cn90
United States of America

Post by cn90 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:40 am

@bugeye,

Sorry I already threw away the old AOC Filter, it was black.

However, if you want to see how the AOC Filter looks at 90K, see posts by "Jack Watts" in the link below:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread ... e-complete

I think you should replace the AOC Filter, it should be easy as long as you get the 4-mm ratcheting wrench combo.

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America

Post by matthew1 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:48 am

This DIY is sick.

Entered into the Repair Database.

Please buy from MVS sponsors. It keeps this site on the web! How the Amazon link works.
Do you like this spam-free, organized forum? Thank a moderator.
Thanks for choosing MVS! Here's how you can help MVS.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

Stravlr
Year and Model: 2004 XC90 T6

Post by Stravlr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:39 pm

Great Write-up!

blandis
Year and Model: 99 S70 T5
United States of America

Post by blandis » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:34 am

Impressive!

Brad
Dallas, TX
1999 S70 T5
2006 XC90 2.5T

cn90
United States of America

Post by cn90 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:24 am

On the issue of suction pump, you can look up "Pela", "Motive" etc. etc. For most of us who don't fix cars for a living and perform this job once every 10 years, you have 2 "minimalist" options:

1. The syringe method as I mentioned:
* 60-cc syringe + clear tubing with I.D. = 3/16"; O.D. = 5/16" + Volvo stiff vacuum line.
Wit this setup, you don't even need to tape the connections. It is a "tight-fit" system.
* When done, clean it with water/soap and let it dry before next use (10 years from now...lol).
* Actually I now like this syringe combo because I can change oil in my lawn mower w/o removing the drain plug (a pain!), removing brake fluid before a flush, changing PS fluid etc. It is a small device but very clean, once done, you have no container to clean!
* The only downside is the slowness, so while you suck the fluid out, just close your eyes and think about the beach in Bahamas etc. lol...

Pump2.JPG

2. I have also heard good things about "Air Power America 5060" $50 on amazon.
So, if anyone has this device, please comment:

Pump1.JPG

Whatever suction device, you will need to use the Volvo stiff vacuum line to access the very tight space inside the Angle Gear, AOC and Rear Diff.

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

bugeye
Year and Model: S80 2007, XC70 2004
United States of America

Post by bugeye » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:25 pm

thank you to cn90. I took your advice and changed the AOC filter in the '07 S80. I ordered filters and fluid from Tasca. Delivered in 3 days. Easy change for the filter. When I removed the cover there was much aluminum grunge, uh oh. But, once wiped away, the white endplate was revealed. I believe the grunge was just condensation and aluminum corrosion away from the hydraulic passages. Used a pick to puncture and withdraw the white endplate. Clean fluid leaked out slowly. The filter removed easily. It appeared reasonably clean as the filter material fiber reinforcement could be seen. I wiped the filter housing and found slight aluminum looking slag. So, no worries. I lost little AOC fluid and topped off. Now to do the '04 XC70.

Return to “Volvo XC90 Forum”