IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2005 XC90 V8, rebuilt after wreck, change transmission fluid

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
robrike
Year and Model:
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
robrike

2005 XC90 V8, rebuilt after wreck, change transmission fluid

Post by robrike » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:17 pm

My daughter wrecked her 05 XC90 V8 back in July. Had full coverage and they totalled it out due to estimated $8900 repair bill. All this wreck did was damaged front right side of front clip and right side fender destroyed. Right wheel came off too along with everything attached to it. Half shaft pulled loose at joint, strut snapped at top mount and ball joint popped out along with ball in inner tie rod. Brake line and abs wire severed.
DSC00486.JPG
I was able to buy it back from insurance for $1200 after verifying no frame damage. I did all mechanical work on right side myself with used and new parts where needed. Spindle and drives haft used and wheel used. All other parts were new off Amazon or other online retailers. I had a body guy install fender and fix tweak in passenger door and repair bumper and paint for $450. Decent enough job. Today this is where I am with it.
20151103_204055.jpg
I am pleased with it and it drives pretty good and is aligned to spec. I have noticed a small leak of oil thru weep hole where engine and tranny connect. I have oil dye coming tomorrow to rule out power steering fluid leaking down valley of motor and out. I will add due to engine oil and if in a week no fluorescent markings it has to be steering fluid. I was down on it prior to wreck. Not pink so don't believe it is transmission fluid. I will be checking level of transmission fluid tomorrow with dice clone. I had fluid flushed by independent volvo shop using cooler lines about 10k miles prior to wreck. Debating doing a drain and refill tomorrow or just leave alone and flush again in 15k miles. I used Mobil 3309 fluid for flush by indie and if I do drain and refill would top with Toyota T IV.

Any suggestions on a drain and refill for next few oil changes versus a flush down the road???
Thanks,
Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robrike
Year and Model:
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
robrike

Re: 2005 XC90 V8, rebuilt after wreck, change transmission f

Post by robrike » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:47 am

I ended up not doing a drain and refill this go round. I added a little extra fluid and hooked my monitor up and verified correct transmission temperature and remove level plug and let excess drain out to proper level. Based on what I added (.5 liter per dice) and what came out which was about same I don't think I have an input seal leak. Next time I change oil and filter I will likely do a drain and refill on transmission. After 3 oil changes in would be close to a flush. Wife is getting irritated with my constant tinkering with car but it was totaled. :) I must pick and choose my projects on it now and possible bad ps pump is priority with amount of smoke under hood. Fine white mist in headlight beams but not a good sign for a slow leak.
Robert