IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

04 c70 convertible top help....please!

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

jinxd12
Year and Model: 04 c70 conv LPT

04 c70 convertible top help....please!

Post by jinxd12 »

I was giving my car the complete cleaning run down today, after a transmission solenoid install. Now I have another BIG issue, need some help.

Top got stuck halfway open/closed. Never had a single issue with the top in the 7 years my parents owned it and the 1 1/2 years I have owned it.

It started to get dark after I had been messing with it for a couple hours, so I downloaded the manual top down instructions. While using a drill and the Allen wrench to close the top, the screw the Allen wrench goes into pushed inside the little motor. WTF!!! I was being super careful too.

Is the little motor now no good, or is that screw just a secondary option to the motor?

I Can’t find just the single motor anywhere, just the entire back panel with cables/motor etc.

Any help or opinions are welcomed here....except bring it to the stealership!!
jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Re: 04 c70 convertible top help....please!

Post by jimmy57 »

turn the screw in reverse direction and see if it pops out. The top system uses existing hardware used in the auto industry for other purposes. In some of those the cable drive has a spring clutch or has the drive purposely made so the manual motion drive can be disengaged. The motor for the coverplate latches on that car has to be depressed to move the latches manually as an example of one. I don't remember ever depressing the hex drive but I also never uses a power tool (I'm not disparaging you foe this, I just never tried it. I'm a HUGE fan of all power tools). I am assuming the motor you were turning is the one on front of top under the cover. Is that correct? You said half way up. please be very specific about positions of all the components: cover plate the top stows under and drops against at rear when up, The rear tension bow of top that carries the rear of top that has the glass, and the front two sections of top. There is one position sensor on right side top motor (rt quarter panel ) and a few microswitches. The signal from tops sensor and the microswitches is used as coordinating points for the various actions to be decided as complete and for the next action to commence. Knowing where it stopped is a huge help in determining what info is wrong from switches or the sensor.
jinxd12

Post by jinxd12 »

I was using the drill in the back of the car under the lid.

I did try to reverse the screw from the motor to no avail! When I do press the switch for the top it does make a sound still, so there may still be hope.

The top got stuck with the rear window vertical. The rear tonneau is at a slight angle, and the frint of the top is disengaged from the windshield portion.

My windows did lower, when the top button was pressed.

Will a picture help more?
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 »

yes, photos would be very helpful
You were put the top up from stowed or putting away towards stowed position when this happened?
jinxd12

Post by jinxd12 »

I was in the car when I tried to put the top up. Then it got stuck.

I tried to help it along its course closing, to no avail. When it stared to get dark out I went with the last ditch effort and tried to manually close the top from the trunk.

This is when the screw pushed into the motor now I am stuck. Right now I put some adhesive on the end of the Allen wrench and am waiting for it to dry to try and get the screw to come out.

Also...I will add that I gently pressed the rear window section down last night. I couldn’t leave the car open to the elements.

This morning I reattached the battery, started the car, pressed the button and the rear window came up to the position where it rests on the top.

The tonneau cover is still not going down all the way, maybe up 1 inch or so. All the motors sound like they are trying to do something....but nothing happens besides the rear window going back vertical.
jinxd12

Post by jinxd12 »

Here are a couple pics, I tried to post a quick video to show what the car does. But I can't post an MP4 vid from my phone I guess.

Jimmy57 can I send it to you in an email?
Attachments
IMG_20191215_161241.jpg
IMG_20191215_161133.jpg
IMG_20191215_161122.jpg
jinxd12

Post by jinxd12 »

My adhesive to the bolt to remove trick did not work.

Ordered a newish motor, but I don't think that motor is the culprit for the original failure.

Any info to give?
jinxd12

Post by jinxd12 »

Jimmy57...any opinions?
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 »

OK, the coverplate looks to be down to the point the latch motor needs to operate to pull it down. The coverplate latch motor is under the other flap on the trunk top stowage well wall. You use a blade screwdriver and you do push in to disengage to motor from cables so the screwdriver will turn and move cables. You need to turn it until you hear BOTH rt and left latches click. when the coverplate latches the top module should resume operation. You will need to turn the screw driver reverse from the direction that latched the coverplate so it re-engages the cables and motor to work again.
jinxd12

Post by jinxd12 »

What's up guys, got my top fixed BY MYSELF! I wanted to give an update and a closure to the thread.

I replaced the back 2 motors/gears with a panel I got off eBay. Talked the guy down to $180 for both motors, the panel, and the 2 cables that come off the motor.

I installed the panel, took about an hour, pretty self explanatory. I took it slow, and took pictures before I disassembled it.

After installing the rear panel, I gave the top closing a try, No Bueno. It did make it further along the process, but still not closing.

I went with the manual closing and it all worked, upto the point where the bow touches the windshield. It just wouldn't seal. Come to find out...

I ruined the screw on the inside of that motor aswell!!! Dammit! Back to eBay I go.

I ordered up the Bow motor, same part as the rear motor coincidentally.

I replaced that motor this morning, in about 10 minutes. Followed through with the manual closing procedure. Everything was sealed up and tight!

I disconnected the battery over the last 2 weeks. I hooked it back up. Hopped in the car, started it up, crossed my fingers and pushed the button...

The top did what it was supposed to do!!! After cheering my self on, I again crossed my fingers and hit the button again. The top did what it was supposed to!

I repeated this about 5 times, no hiccups!

I fixed the top, and it only cost me $270 and a month of tinkering. This is not a DD actually going to try and sell it now that everything is clean and in working order!

Thank you all for your help and opinions!