Volvo 850 (and Cross Country 1996-1997)
- The 850 broke new ground by being Volvo’s first U.S. front-drive model, as well as the first Volvo to feature a 5-cylinder engine.
- The Volvo 70 series descended from the very popular, very safe, “near-luxury” Volvo 850. The V70 began life in 1998 model year as a freshened 850.
- The S40 sedan and its V40 wagon companion were aimed more at younger buyers than the Swedish automaker’s traditional customers.
- The XC90 is a full-size luxury SUV. It shares its platform with the Volvo S80 and other larger Volvo cars.
- Introduced in 1998 as a 1999 model, the Volvo S80 was Volvo’s flagship sedan until the debut of the 2017 Volvo S90, announced in December 2015.