Is this Winter Car?
Forum member volvooh wonders if a front-wheel drive S70 will be the same or better than a front-wheel drive V70, given the same years. “We are considering an S70 as a winter driver. We have V70 wagon (FWD)- its okay in the snow but far from being a billy goat. I was wondering how an S70 (FWD) would perform. I have always attributed the light body weight and elongated frame on the V70 to is lack of winter handling.” Winter Car
Considering S70 as a winter driver a Winter Car?
It is important to check the vehicle before driving in cold/snowy conditions to make sure it can be driven safely.
Before the cold season arrives:
- Make sure the engine coolant contains 50% antifreeze. This mixture helps protect the engine from frost erosion down to approx. -35 °C (-31 °F). Do not mix different types of antifreeze as this could pose a health risk.
- Keep the fuel tank well filled to prevent condensation from forming.
- Check the viscosity of the engine oil. Oil with low viscosity (thinner oil) improves cold-weather starting and reduces fuel consumption when driving with a cold engine.
Low-viscosity oil should not be used with hard driving or in hot weather.
- Check the condition and charge level of the start battery. Cold weather places greater demands on the start battery and reduces its capacity.
- Use washer fluid containing antifreeze to help prevent ice from forming in the washer fluid reservoir.
Slippery driving conditions
For optimal traction and roadholding, Volvo recommends using snow tires on all wheels whenever there is a risk of snow or ice on the road.
Certain countries require use of winter tires by law. Not all countries permit the use of studded tires.
Practice driving on slippery surfaces under controlled conditions to learn how the vehicle reacts.
Welcome to Matthews Volvo Site! Your one stop shop for all Volvo news, help and DIY fixes. We feature the Volvo Repair Database, the best Volvo Forum, and an awesome monthly Volvo newsletter. Joining is always free!
The MVS Volvo Newsletter is a once-a-month email delivered to your email. It’s simple to unsubscribe at any time if you change your mind.