New? Start here. There are 936 Volvo forum users online now. See the forum's active topics. Say hi contact Matthew.
MVS-Amazon link helps MVS!

ID The Mass Air flow Sensor (photo)

volvo mass air flow sensor

What and where is the mass air flow sensor?

A mass air flow sensor (MAF) is used to find out the mass flowrate of air entering a fuel-injected internal combustion engine.

The air mass information is necessary for the engine control unit (ECU) to balance and deliver the correct fuel mass to the engine. Air changes its density as it expands and contracts with temperature and pressure. In automotive applications, air density varies with the ambient temperature, altitude and the use of forced induction, which means that mass flow sensors are more appropriate than volumetric flow sensors for determining the quantity of intake air in each cylinder.

MVS Forum Member ekapus asks:

I think I’m going to end up replacing this, but I just want to make sure that THIS is the Mass Air Flow Sensor.
I’m talking about the part with the plug plugs into.
Also, how would I remove it?

MVS Forum Member CarVolvo replied:

if you got a better get a set of TORX bits (not hex bits)… t …and get the ones which attach to your rachet…cheap bits will round out your screw heads and then you will be in big trouble.

sizes 10 15 20 25 30 40 45 are the ones which come to mind.. i think those on the MAF are 25 or 30 or so. Just take them off and the unit should slide out…be delicate with the mass air flow sensor.

MVS Forum Member dasapir added:

Also, I would reccomend a set of safety torex bits, which you need to remove the mass air flow sensor. Autozone or any car parts place should carry them. A set of inexpensive Allen-wrench type is all you need for this. I got mine from Autozone with a regular torex bit on one end and saftey torex head on the other end. I also have a set of 1/4 and 3/8″ ratchet drive torex bits for larger work.

MVS Forum Member MadeInJapan says:

Actually if you get a replacement mass air flow sensor, there is no need to take the actual sensor out of the housing. The connector comes right off by pushing in on the connector tabs. Just undo the clamp for the accordion hose to the sensor and push down and out to get the sensor housing off of the pipe from the air box. A new mass air flow sensor will come with the sensor and round housing joined together.

ID The Mass Airflow Sensor (photo)

Leave a Reply