Looking to buy a Volvo S70 5?
Well – I changed the oil yesterday evening, clearing out the Seafoam and “flushing” the system with some dino-oil. ‘Flushing’ because it’s to be changed in 2 or so short weeks when I have the PCV system from FPC Groton.
While under the car I noticed a problem I had missed in a hurried inspection back east…. the radiator was only mounted on one end, somehow the bolts washer that rests against the metal spacer in the mounting bracket was undersized and had passed thru. Man that would been catastrophic had the other mount broke loose. Also the big tube into/outta(?)(bottom of ic – drivers side) the intercooler had a nice divot in it and a resulting hairline split… pressurized systems love leaks… I can only guess as to the cause, there was no “crash” damage anywhere around. Needless to say both were fixed (the hose temporarily – gotta love duct tape and zipties!!) and no other issues were spotted as I examined the underside more carefully.
I painted the grill first thing too, took it apart, cleaned it and threw 7 – 8 coats of Kyrlon Fusion I had lying around on it.
- Here are the numbers:
- 6.144 gallons 164054 miles $3.509 /gal La Plata, MD 4:05pm
- 10.506 gallons 164298 miles $3.599 /gal Morgantown, WV 7:46pm 23.1 MPG (volvo tripcomp.)
- 7.030 gallons 164471 miles $3.460 /gal Nitro, WV 11:04pm
- 15.470 gallons 164808 miles $3.399 /gal Haubstadt, IN 3:17am 23.3 MPG (volvo tripcomp.)
- 11.293gallons 165092 miles $3.399 /gal Columbia, MO 8:18 am
- 8.085 gallons 165285 miles $3.339 /gal Topeka, KS 11:38am 23.8 MPG (volvo tripcomp.)
- Manhattan, KS 165338 miles = 1305 trip miles (first fill up was 20.2 miles in] 12:20pm
- total fuel: 58.558
- personalized PCV system about $20.00
- fuel cost: $201.68
- cost of my 98 s70 T-5: $1500.00
- Driving a T-5 half way across the country in approx. 21 hours without a ticket or incident….
- (couldn’t resist….)
The MVS Volvo Newsletter is a once-a-month email delivered to your email. It’s simple to unsubscribe at any time if you change your mind.