MVS Volvo Forums writeup expert CN90 demonstrates how to DIY your 2005 XC90 2.5T rear brake (parking brake) overhaul, with many photos to illustrate his steps.
2005 XC90 with 95K miles. Symptoms: squeaky rear brake during stop, also RR rotor lost a chunk of metal (see photos).
If you have done Parking Brake shoes before, this is similar to other Volvos. I wrote a DIY Parking Brake for 1998 S70 previously, info in forum.
Over the years, I have found that after 8-10y/80K+, the parking brake shoes delaminate, the friction material just simply falls off, perhaps due to trapped heat inside the drum portion of the rotor.
No matter what car you own, after some 8-10y/80K+, just do a brake overhaul.
- Purchased from autohausaz.com, rmeuropean.com and Volvo dealer in Lisle IL (See their website).
- ATE rotor: made in China
- Rear Brake Pads: Jurid made in India
- Parking Brake Shoes: Pagid made in Germany.
- New retainer springs, big spring, small spring from Volvo OEM. See photos for PNs.
So…my XC90 is now multi-ethnic lol…
- Oh, during adjustment, the adjuster clip (inside the cabin) fell into a black hole, fished for 1/2h with the telescopic magnet, no luck. So get an extra one PN 30683358, $2-$3 at dealer.
- Safety is #1 concern, so when working on RR wheel, chock the LF wheel on both the fore and aft parts as shown. I am a minimalist, my garage is tight, although I can afford a 3-ton floor jack, I don’t want it simply b/c I don’t have space and also it is heavy at 70 lbs+. I have a trust-worthy 2-ton floor jack ($20 at Harbor Freight or Advance Auto)…I simply add 2 pieces of 2×10 lumber (SUV has high ground clearance, so the lumber pieces raise the floor jack up), some plumbing adaptor, piece of tire rubber as cushion and I am good to go.
- Place jackstand below the control arm as shown. Then I SLOWLY lower the jack a bit, as if to share the load so roughly 50% of jackstand and 50% on floor jack. Another way is to lower the floor jack and gently jack it up until it is snug against the jack point. Then give it 1-2 more pumps.