“Well after the passing of my beloved 850 T5, I purchased an 1999 S80. Now I know this wasn’t exactly the championship year for this car but my father bought it on impulse so I gotta make lemonade. What are some things to be wary of on this model/year.”
Things I have repaired since buying my S80 in 2008 with about 99,000 miles on her (without first checking out it reputation! ):
- Left front wheel hub twice (both times used FAG hub). If it goes again will go with SKF which i believe to be be OEM. Thought FAG was OEM.
- “Lava lamp” failure (here’s another S80 rearview mirror fix) of auto-dimming rear view mirror.
- Siren module replaced. Acid from small batteries leak and eat through the wires from the battery. Also do a search for this if yours dies. The acid hadn’t damaged my printed circuit board but i didn’t know this until i had removed it. Maybe could have just put in new battery pack…
- S80 PCV system replaced (had dealer do this).
- cvvt reset valve replaced (error code ecm-644a).
- Had dealer replace leaking transmission output shaft seal on passenger side which was leaking.
- Had dealer fix leaking turbo oil return line on passenger side turbo. I think previous repair by this or another dealer had forgotten to put in the small flange gasket. It was just a very slow leak but made a mess.
- Had to have dealer replace the S80 ignition switch tumbler assembly. Couldn’t turn key. What a crappy design. Never had this occur on any other vehicle.