Could someone either:
1. Point me in the direction of this?
2. Or, give me some advice on how to fix this? Do I have to take the shifter handle off?
The Shifter Fix
anjill182 » I’ve had my 1998 V70 XC for a little over a year now and this site has been great. Time for me to give a little back. I had the sticky shifter problem , broken button, and I just could not see spending $38 on a replacement button. Off to the local pick and pull. Seems like all, or most, of the buttons on the 70 series cars were also broken. Guess what? The buttons on the 850’s and some other vehicles are the same. The only difference is the plastic is black. The black buttons don’t seem to be as prone to breaking. If you don’t mind using a black button instead of a gray one (you can’t really see it anyway), get a black one and replace your broken gray one. Remove the shifter knob so you can see what’s going on.
1. Gently pry the top of the button out
2. Pull the button straight up and out.
3. On the new button, line up the pin on the edge of the plastic as shown.
4. Insert the button with the pin in the top slot and snap the bottom in.
5. Put the spring wire bacK in its place.
6. Push the button back in.
7. Looks good.
After you do one, others are easy. I replaced the on in my son’s 2000 S40 in about 2 minutes. I hope this helps someone. Good luck!